What is AR 614-30? AR 614-30 is an Army regulation that provides policies and procedures for the selection and assignment of soldiers to overseas service.

Who does AR 614-30 apply to? AR 614-30 applies to all soldiers in the Active Army, Army National Guard, and Army Reserve, except those serving on active duty for training.

How does AR 614-30 determine overseas service assignments? AR 614-30 establishes a selection process based on a soldier's eligibility, preferences, and the needs of the Army.

Can soldiers request for overseas service? Yes, soldiers are encouraged to communicate their overseas service preferences through their assignment manager or career counselor. However, requests may not always be granted due to operational needs.

What factors are considered when determining a soldier's eligibility for overseas service? Factors such as security clearance, language proficiency requirements, and medical fitness are taken into account when determining a soldier's eligibility for overseas assignments.

Can soldiers be involuntarily assigned to overseas service? Yes, AR 614-30 allows for involuntary assignment to overseas service if a soldier's assignment to overseas duty is determined to be in the best interest of the Army and the soldier meets the eligibility requirements.

Can soldiers volunteer for specific overseas assignments? While soldiers can express their preferences for specific overseas assignments, final decisions are made based on the Army's needs and availability.

What happens if a soldier is assigned to an overseas location with family members? AR 614-30 addresses the policies and entitlements regarding the command-sponsored travel, housing, medical care, and education of family members accompanying soldiers during their overseas assignment.

Are there any exceptions to the overseas service policy? Yes, AR 614-30 allows for exceptions, such as medical limitations, humanitarian reasons, or unique professional development opportunities, when determining overseas service eligibility or assignment.

Your version of Internet Explorer is out of date. It has known security flaws and can cause issues displaying content on this page, and other websites.

Learn how to update your browser

U.S. Army Overseas Service: Tour Length Policy Revision

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Reddit
  • Share on LinkedIn
  • Share via Email
  • Print this article

Provided by Headquarters, Deputy Chief of Staff Army G-1

What is it?

Army Regulation 614-30, Army Overseas Service, includes policy and guidance on the tour lengths for overseas areas. This regulation provided guidance for single Soldiers on unaccompanied tours to Europe and Japan to be placed on a 24 month tour, while Soldiers stationed with dependents overseas to be typically placed on orders for a 36 month tour.

Effective June 1, 2019, the policy on the tour length for single Soldiers has been revised. The tour lengths to locations in Europe and Japan, for Soldiers who are single with no dependents, will increase from 24 to 36 months.

What are the current and past efforts of the Army?

The changes to tour length in the Overseas Service regulation:

Improves readiness of overseas units and Permanent Change of Station (PCS) stability for Soldiers and Families in certain locations in Europe and Japan. The Army has no plan to expand this policy to other locations at this time.

Increases stability for Soldiers and commanders. Soldiers will remain in their units longer, reducing the frequency of training new Soldiers* Does not impact Soldiers who have dependents.

What continued efforts does the Army have planned?

This policy applies to all Soldiers, without dependents, who receive PCS orders to the approved locations in Europe and Japan after June 14, 2019. The Army estimates that this policy will affect approximately 3,000 to 5,000 Soldiers every year.

The change in the policy is part of the Army’s larger efforts to reduce turnover to increase readiness which can minimize transportation issues for Family members. This revision is instrumental in:

  • Reducing PCS moves during peak season.
  • Increasing capacity of household goods carriers and increasing use of containerized shipments for select moves.
  • Developing standardized training for all transportation office staffs to improve consistency and customer service.
  • Setting up a 24/7 hotline to provide problem resolution when local offices are not able to; disseminating tips, checklists and articles to Soldiers and Families to assist them in preparing for moving season.
  • Reimbursing Spouse State Licensure and Certification Costs .

Why is this important to the Army?

The change in the overseas tour length policy will improve readiness by increasing Soldier stability for commanders. It will also increase permanency for Soldiers and their Families at assigned locations and ultimately help to reduce PCS-related costs for the Army.

Resources :

  • ASA M&RA
  • Army Families

Related document:

  • ALARACT- Change to Overseas Tour Lengths for Certain Locations in Europe and Japan (CAC log in required)
  • Army Regulation 614-30, Overseas Service

Related STAND-TO!:

  • Military Family Readiness
  • Permanent Change of Station Move

Subscribe to STAND-TO! to learn about the U.S. Army initiatives.

June 6: 75th Anniversary of D-Day | Visit: Army.mil: D-Day

June 14: Army Birthday | Visit Army.mil: The U.S. Army

army overseas assignment regulation

  • Back to Menu
  • Military Basics Overview
  • New to the Military
  • Advancing in the Military
  • Logistics for Service Members
  • Wounded, Ill or Injured & Their Caregivers
  • Deployment Overview
  • Preparing for Deployment
  • During Deployment
  • Returning Home From Deployment
  • Transitioning & Retiring Overview
  • Military Separation
  • Transitioning to Civilian Life
  • Joining the Guard & Reserves
  • Casualty Assistance Overview
  • Support After Loss
  • Understanding Grief
  • Survivor Finances & Legal
  • Making the Final Move
  • Moving & PCS Overview
  • Preparing to Move
  • Moving Your Personal Property
  • Settling in After Moving
  • OCONUS/Overseas Moves
  • Housing & Living Overview
  • On-Base Housing
  • Off-Base Housing
  • Making the Most of Your Installation
  • Living Overseas
  • Disaster Preparedness
  • Recreation, Travel & Shopping Overview
  • MWR, Recreation, Fitness & Libraries
  • Travel & Lodging
  • Commissary & Exchange
  • Relationships Overview
  • Friendships & Single Life
  • Support Community
  • Married Life & Domestic Partnerships
  • Separation & Divorce
  • Parenting Overview
  • New Parents
  • Adoption & Foster Care
  • Children, Youth & Teens
  • Child Care Programs
  • Preventing Harmful Behaviors
  • Military Family Life
  • Special Needs Overview
  • EFMP — Exceptional Family Member Program
  • Support for Families With Special Needs
  • Medical Needs
  • Educational Needs
  • Health & Wellness Overview
  • Prevention & Care
  • Mental Health
  • Nutrition & Fitness
  • Substance Abuse
  • Safety From Violence & Abuse Overview
  • Unhealthy Relationships
  • Domestic Abuse
  • Child Abuse
  • Financial & Legal Overview
  • Personal Finance
  • Education & Employment Overview
  • For Spouses
  • For Service Members
  • For Youth & Teens
  • Service Member
  • New Service Member
  • Transitioning Service Member
  • National Guard Member
  • Wounded Warrior
  • Retiree/Veteran
  • Family With Special Needs
  • Service Provider or Leader
  • Extended Family or Friend
  • View Benefits Finder
  • Military OneSource Services
  • Planning & Prevention
  • Discounts & Perks
  • Pay & Leave
  • Education & Employment
  • Family & Child Care
  • Relationships
  • Health Care & Emotional Well-being
  • Assistance Programs
  • Popular Benefits
  • Space-A Travel
  • DOD MWR Libraries
  • View Resources Finder
  • MilLife Guides
  • Military OneSource Network Websites
  • Government Websites
  • External Websites
  • Directories & Tools
  • Online Learning
  • Mobile Apps
  • Popular Resources
  • Plan My Move
  • Moving Personal Property
  • Other Resources
  • Data, Research & Statistics
  • View Products Finder
  • Popular Product Types
  • Book/Booklets
  • Fact Sheets
  • Educational Items
  • Popular Products
  • MFLC Program Brochure (Adult)
  • Big Life Journal - Adult Edition
  • Spouse Education & Career Opportunities Flyer
  • Military Teen Adventure Camps Flyer
  • Non-medical Counseling
  • Military OneSource Non‑medical Counseling
  • Military and Family Life Counseling
  • Specialty Consultations
  • Building Healthy Relationships
  • Health & Wellness Coaching
  • New MilParent
  • Peer-to-Peer
  • Special Needs
  • Spouse Relocation & Transition
  • Transitioning Veterans
  • Interactive Tools & Services
  • Financial Counseling
  • MilTax: Free Tax Services
  • Language Services
  • Caregiver Support Services
  • Spouse Education and Career Opportunities
  • Resilience Tools
  • My Military OneSource App
  • Chill Drills App
  • Domestic Abuse Victim Advocate Locator
  • Relationship Resource Tool

24/7/365 Access to Support

No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.

  • 800-342-9647
  • Call Us OCONUS
  • Call Us TTY/TDD
  • Veterans/Military Crisis Line

Dial 988 then press 1 or text 838255

Chat with a VA responder

Call from OCONUS


  • National Domestic Violence Hotline

Call 800-799-SAFE (7233)

Chat live now

Text “START” to 88788

  • DOD Safe Helpline - Sexual Assault Support

Call 877-995-5247


  • 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline

Chat with a crisis responder

Use your preferred relay service, or dial 711 then 988

  • Domestic Abuse Victim Advocate Locator - Family Advocacy Program

Find an advocate.

In the United States, call 911 if you are in an emergency.

For those outside the United States, call your local emergency number.

  • Casualty & Mortuary Affairs
  • Child & Youth Advocacy
  • Child & Youth Programs
  • Commissary, Military Exchange & Lodging
  • Family Advocacy Program
  • Military Community Support Programs
  • Military & Family Life Counseling
  • Military Family Readiness Programs
  • Military Funeral Honors
  • Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR)
  • Office of Special Needs
  • Personnel Accountability & Evacuations Operations
  • Spouse Education & Career Opportunities

Contact Military OneSource

Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center .

  • Additional Ways to Contact Us

Military OneSource Logo

Obtaining Command Sponsorship Before an OCONUS Move

Benefit overview.

One of the benefits of military life can be the opportunity to live in different parts of the world and experience different cultures, food and places. Moving outside the continental U.S., or OCONUS, is an adventure that others only dream about, but it does require some planning and organization. Tap into all the resources available through Military OneSource to help you master your OCONUS move .

If you want your family to make the journey with you, obtaining command sponsorship — also known as “accompanied orders” — can make the transition much easier.

How this benefit helps

Command sponsorship is the permission needed to have family members accompany you with full military benefits during your assignment overseas.

Tap into all the support available through Military OneSource to help you master your OCONUS move, including obtaining command sponsorship for your family. Obtaining command sponsorship will ensure the permission needed to have family members accompany service members with full military benefits during their assignment overseas.

Ensure all permissions are requested early when planning an OCONUS military move.

Requesting command sponsorship

Command sponsorship is the permission needed to have family members accompany you with full military benefits during your assignment overseas. If command sponsorship is not included in your original orders, you must make a request through your chain of command.

  • Once you’ve made the request, you will receive specific instructions that must be followed.
  • If approved, your military orders will specifically state that dependents are authorized.
  • If you get married before you move, you must inform your commander and follow the procedures exactly as you receive them. The military will not pay for your spouse’s travel and housing if you do not follow proper procedures.
  • Know that command sponsorship is not guaranteed. You will need to have a backup plan if you are denied.

Once command sponsorship is granted

Once command sponsorship is granted, you will receive:

  • Reimbursement for your family’s travel expenses
  • A larger housing allowance
  • Permission for more weight for your household goods shipment

Your family will receive other benefits for the duration of your overseas assignment, including:

  • Medical services
  • Legal protection
  • The right to remain in your host country

To ensure you are fully reimbursed for family expenses, keep good records and document any costs associated with travel, housing and other authorized expenses.

Housing allowances

As you make overseas housing decisions, be sure to research current housing allowances at your future installation.

Defense Travel Management Office website

Current housing allowance tables, per diem rates and tools are available on the Defense Travel Management Office website.

If command sponsorship is denied

Command sponsorship is not guaranteed. It may be denied because of the location of the duty station, the length of your tour, insufficient family support resources at the duty station or other reasons. If command sponsorship is denied:

  • You will receive “unaccompanied orders.”
  • Your family members may still be able to move to your PCS host country but be aware that you will be responsible for all transportation, moving and living expenses associated with their move.
  • Your family members’ installation medical services will be limited.
  • Cost of living adjustments will not be available for family members.

Permission to live in PCS host country

Your family members will not automatically receive permission to live in your PCS host country.

Research visa and residency requirements

Explore the Status of Forces Agreement, or SOFA, associated with the country where you will be living to ensure your family members can legally remain with you.

Don’t wait to plan this next chapter in your military life. Learn more about relocation assistance for the whole family as well as online tools and personalized support that will help you master your move.

  • Put the Military’s Relocation Assistance Program to Work for You
  • PCS and Military Moves: Discover everything for your next move

Tap into a broad range of planning resources and tips to master your OCONUS move — including housing, scheduling, packing and sponsorship resources.

Learn about military bases worldwide. Get installation overviews, check-in procedures, housing, neighborhood information, contacts for programs and services, photos and more.

Find an Installation

View All Installations

Click "Extend" below to stay logged in.

If you are part of the general public, navigate to the public site. This site is solely for testing and approving site pages before they are released to the general public.

Official websites use .mil

Secure .mil websites use HTTPS

U.S. Army Japan

Moving to Japan - Miscellaneous Information

Welcome to japan and camp zama area, post privileges, driver’s license.

  • Shipments - Household Goods


Family member employment.

  • Medical Care for Civilian Employees

Mail and Postal Facilities

State income taxes, child care programs.

  • Youth Service

Bank, Credit Union and Services

Defense commissary agency, army and air force exchange service.

  • Telephone Service and Long Distance Services

Host Country Orientations and Language Classes

Newspapers, television, radio and movies, adult and higher education, legal assistance, pet import and pet export.

Welcome to Japan and Camp Zama, headquarters to U.S. Army Japan and I Corps (Forward), and U.S. Army Garrison-Japan. The information provided below is primarily for those being assigned to the Camp Zama Army community. The four primary locations are: Camp Zama, Sagamihara Family Housing Area, Sagami Depot, and North Dock. Those who work here strive to make this a command of choice and one where you and your family will become a part. While here, you will gain lasting memories and experience the wonderful beauty of Japan and the warmth of the Japanese people. Enjoy your time here.

An overseas assignment gives you additional privileges at post facilities. In the United States, civilian employees are usually able to use the fitness center, library and other recreational facilities. Overseas, civilian employees with post privileges are also able to use the Post Office, Commissary and Exchange, including theaters, gas stations and auto repair facilities. You must have a Government-issued identification (ID) card marked for overseas use to use these facilities. Your Civilian Personnel Advisory Center (CPAC) can give you information on eligibility for ID cards.

One of the first orders of business you will take care of when you arrive at your overseas assignment is to get your ID card. This card is required to get you on post, into the Commissary and Exchange, pick up and mail packages at the Post Office, and for numerous other day-to-day tasks. Civilian employees and their authorized family members (aged 10 and above) are issued an ID card different from what you may have had in the United States. All members of your family should carry their ID cards wherever they go.

Torii Station: (Military) Bldg. 210, Room 100 DSN: 315-644-5824 Routine ID card appointments should be made through the automated appointment system at: https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/appointment/building.html?BuildingId=782 (Family members) Bldg. 216, Room 116 DSN: 315-644-4125 Camp Zama: Bldg. 102, D Wing DSN: 315-263-4449 Routine ID card appointments should be made through the automated appointment system at: https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/appointment/building.html?BuildingId=636

The only authorized operator’s permit used in Japan is the U.S. Forces, Japan (USFJ) Form 4EJ issued by the local law enforcement organization at place of assignment. This criteria includes all dependents regardless of whether they are employed or not. In order to obtain USFJ Form 47J, the individual must attend a 4-hour driver’s training course given every Tuesday from 0800 to 1200 hours in Building 102, Room A-108, Safety Training Room (1st Floor, A-wing), South Camp Zama. Attendance in this course, successful completion of a 45-question test, and a valid stateside USFK, USAEUR, or international driver’s license is required to obtain the USFJ Form 4EJ. The test is comprised of 20 true or false, 10 multiple choice, and 15 international road signs. International road signs study material is here .

Student Drivers

  • Student driver’s permit (temporary): A temporary permit for a four-wheeled vehicle may be issued for a 90-day period to individuals 18 years of age or older. To obtain this permit the individual must attend the driver's training course and successfully complete the test mentioned above. In addition, the individual must obtain an eye test at the Motor Pool. This permit is valid only when the student driver is accompanied by a licensed an adult (21 years or older). The practice vehicle will display AJ Sign 19EJ (Student Temporary Permit, Under Practice), both on the front and rear, and will be allowed to operate only at designated times and locations.
  • Minor's Student Permit: Family members 16 and 17 years of age may receive a student permit. The student must complete all the requirements above and then submit a written application (17th ASG Form 68). The permit is valid only when the student driver is accompanied by a licensed adult (21 or older).
  • Two-Wheeled Vehicle Permit: Student permits require authorization from the sponsor's commander or supervisor. Students must also attend a motorcycle briefing, pass a written test and attend a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course.

Shipment - Household Goods

You are authorized two types of shipments to Japan: hold baggage (unaccompanied baggage) and household goods. Japan is an administratively weight restricted area which means that your personal property or household goods shipment is limited to 25 percent of your Joint Travel Regulation (JTR) allowance. Check with your Traffic Management Office to determine the weight allowance authorized for you.

Tables, chairs, sofas, lamps, bedroom sets, stoves, refrigerators, washers and dryers are provided by housing supply and it is recommended that you not ship such items unless you have a very comfortable chair or bed that would be more comfortable. But be aware that exceeding your overall weight limits can cost you significantly. Freezers are not authorized for shipment to Japan since space is limited in both on and off post quarters.

IMPORTANT! Average electrical current supplied to most Japanese homes and on military installations is only 30 to 50 Amps, at 100 volts and 50 cycles for Eastern/Northern Japan (including installations in the greater Tokyo area) or 60 cycles for Western Japan including Okinawa. The average home in the U.S. is supplied with at least 100 Amps (usually 150-200), at 120 volts and 60 cycles.

Most kitchen and entertainment appliances will work well throughout Japan with the 100 volt electrical current.

However, in Eastern/Northern Japan certain electrical items that depend on clocks or timers will lose approximately 10 minutes per hour if the rating is only 60 cycles. Appliances with motors operate at a slower speed due to the 50 cycle electrical supply, but should continue to serve adequately. A transformer may increase the voltage from 100 to 120, but it WILL NOT adjust the cycles from 50 to 60. Electric clocks (without a 50/60 cycle or automatic switch) are not recommended for shipment if used in Eastern/Northern Japan, since they will not keep accurate time on 50 cycles. Freezers are not recommended for shipment since space is limited in quarters. Carefully choose the electrical appliances you wish to bring to Japan by first checking the electrical information imprinted on all electrical devices. Most items manufactured today are multivoltage and 50/60 cycles.

You are coming over here with a job, but what about your spouse? What are the possibilities for her/his employment while you are here? As anywhere, the skills, experience, and desires of your spouse have a lot to do with the likelihood of employment. There are some special complicating factors in an overseas area, however. First and foremost is the supply of family member job seekers versus the number of positions available. There are many more family members than full-time positions. Since employment on the local economy is usually not possible, the competition for on-base jobs is very stiff. Second, spouses of civilian employees are not eligible for military spouse preference (a preference for Federal employment) so they have lower standing when referred for a job. If your spouse or other eligible family member has Civil Service status, lack of military spouse preference has much less impact. Many family members will be unable to find employment which meets their desires for work schedule, salary, or level of work.

Medical Care for Civilian Employees:

As a U.S. civilian employee in an overseas area, you are eligible for medical care in military medical facilities in the overseas area only, on a space-available basis and for a fee. What treatment is available will depend on where you are assigned, but our priority for care is always the same, which is AFTER active duty military members and their families. In most locations, you will not be able to obtain routine dental or optometry care. Depending on patient demand and care availability, other types of care will not be available from military facilities. If you have health concerns, you should discuss this with your gaining CPAC and sponsor in order to make sure that your health care needs, and those of your family, will be provided for. Military medical care is expensive. The fee schedule changes annually. Representative costs for outpatient care are rated on care given and can be expensive. You or your family members will probably need to use medical and dental providers on the economy at some point during your tour. Referrals can be obtained from the Tri-Care office of your local military medical facility or from co-workers who have providers they have used and recommend.

Obviously, you will still need health insurance over here. DO NOT count on whatever care you need being available on post. Most insurance carriers are more flexible regarding what kinds of receipts they will accept from Host Country providers. Contact your health insurance carrier for specific forms and instructions on filing overseas claims. You can also obtain more information about the Federal Employees' Health Benefits program from your Civilian Personnel Advisory Center or by reviewing the Office of Personnel Management's website at www.opm.gov .

You are authorized a Post Office Box at the military postal facility. Your sponsor can reserve a box and give you the address as soon as your sponsor receives a copy of your PCS orders. This will enable you to do your “change of address” cards. As with any move, it takes a few weeks for any change to take effect with your correspondents and magazines so the sooner you send in your new address the less delay you will experience. Don't forget to put in a forwarding order with your United States Post Office if in the U.S. Under the Military Postal System (MPS), you and your correspondents use U.S. postage stamps and rates. The MPS moves mail to and from designated United States locations so you do not pay overseas mailing charges. A first class stamp gets letters to and from an overseas APO just as if you were still within the U.S. You will still receive any magazines, catalogs, and packages without having to pay international rates which is a big cost (and time) savings. Customs forms are required to send packages to and from APOs.

Some states have no income tax. Other states don't tax income earned overseas. Many states, however, do expect you to continue to pay state income tax while you are assigned overseas. Your local Legal Office can provide advice on these matters. Most states require quarterly payment of estimated taxes to be due. If taxes aren't withheld from your salary you are now able to arrange for state tax withholding from your check.

Child Development Services: The CDS program is an accredited and award winning program. The managers and staff take their mission of caring for your children very seriously. Children are cared for in a safe, warm and supportive environment. Centers are conveniently located on Camp Zama and Sagamihara Family Housing Area. Family Child Care (FCC) homes are another childcare option. Homes operate at both housing areas. Care and programs are designed according to the child's developmental stage. Services are designed to foster and develop a child's physical, intellectual, and socio-emotional capabilities.

Daily activities scheduled include manipulative and educational toys, block play, physical activities (small and large scale muscle), art activities, drama and music. Activities are provided for children age six weeks through 12 years of age in hourly care, part day and full programs.

Fees are based on a sliding fee scale depending on total family income.

Youth Services

This is a great place to live! Youth Services (YS) has all kinds of stuff for kids to do. There are two centers, one at each housing area. You can participate in activities in the center, like video games, dances, a computer club, gymnastics and tumbling, karate, private piano lessons, lock-ins, talent shows, birthday parties, pool, darts, ping pong, golf lessons, cooking and midnight night basketball. You can also go on field trips to places like Tokyo Disneyland, Summerland amusement park, Wild Blue Yokohama (a huge INDOOR beach with real waves). If you want to join a team, YS has basketball, baseball, roller hockey, swimming and soccer. If an activity you like isn't already sponsored by YS, join the Teen Council and help decide what kind of activities you want at Camp Zama.

Some of the clubs sponsored through the Middle and High School include: Presidential Classroom Model United Nations, Photography Club, Future Business Leaders of America, French and Spanish Clubs, Drama Club, National Honor Society, Art Club, and more.

Your school age children are eligible for registration in one of the Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DoDDS) on a space-required, no fee basis, if you were hired from the United States. Your child’s school will depend on where in the local community you live and your child’s grade. DoDDS-contracted bus service is offered in some communities. If you have school age children, be sure to get information on bus routes before you commit to a house, unless you or your spouse are willing and able to provide your own transportation.

IMPORTANT NOTE: DODDS must be made aware of school age children with special needs. Contact with the DoDDS-Pacific Area Office is critical if a child has special needs or exceptional requirements. The employee sponsor must obtain required school documents from the child’s U.S. school prior to departure for the overseas location. You will need to complete and return these forms before moving to the overseas location to assist with any special needs or exceptional requirements.

Due to electronic banking, most of the conveniences of home are available to you here in Japan. You may keep your U.S. bank of credit union accounts or establish one at either institution. Some people keep an account in the United States and one in Japan for convenience because of delays in mailing deposits to stateside banks and credit unions. An ATM (automatic teller machine) card from either the bank of credit union is very useful here and can usually be used at most Japanese ATMs. The ATMs on military installations dispense both dollars and Yen currency and do not charge a transaction fee, however, your bank may charge a fee so check with them beforehand. The bank and credit union sell Yen, but large amounts may need to be ordered in advance. The credit union rates are slightly less than the bank.

  • Camp Zama, Bldg. 393 Open Monday - Wednesday and Friday: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Thursday and paydays: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  • ATM locations: Camp Zama: Bank and Exchange Sagami Depot: Bldg. 130-S3 Sagamihara Housing Area: Bldg. 104 New Sanno Hotel: 2nd Floor Hardy Barracks, 1st Floor
  • Telephone: DSN: 315-263-5403 Within Japan: 046-407-4767
  • Camp Zama, Bldg. 344 Monday - Friday: 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  • Telephone: DSN: 315-263-4934 Within Japan: 046-407-4767

The Defense Commissary Agency operates four commissaries in Japan for Army military and civilian personnel and their families. Each store stocks a full line of grocery, fresh meat and produce.

  • Sagamihara Family Housing Area is the main commissary in the Camp Zama community. It stocks approximately 8,000 items.
  • Camp Zama Commissary stocks about 7,000 items.
  • Kure Commissary stocks approximately 1,800 items.
  • Kadena AB Commissary stocks approximately 14,500 items.

Camp Zama Exchange supports military personnel, Department of Defense civilians, their families and other authorized personnel.

The Exchange maintains a wide range of services - from a main store with a full assortment of merchandise to Express stores at Zama and Sagamihara Family Housing Area.

Various facilities within the Exchange include home and garden, digital movie theater, Burger King, Popeye’s, Anthony's Pizza, Subway, Taco Bell, Military Clothing Store, gas stations and vending machine services. Additional concession facilities include new car and motorcycle sales, car rental, beauty/barber shops and more.

The Army & Air Force Exchange Service continues to provide quality merchandise and services at competitively low prices.

Telephone Service and Long Distance

Cordless telephones (including baby monitors and walkie-talkies) in the 900 MHz AND 1.6 & 1.7 GHz range and not within the standard Wi-Fi band cannot be used in Japan as they may interfere with commercial communications frequencies. Authorized cordless home phones usually include those in the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz range and do operate within the standard Wi-Fi band. Telephones which meet these requirements are sold at the military Exchange.

A commercial vendor at the Exchange provides U.S. commercial phone service, including your own U.S. telephone number, as well as Internet and cable television service. Otherwise, long distance rates for calls to the U.S. vary based on carrier and type of service used. If you plan on calling the U.S. on a regular basis and do not live on post or want U.S. phone service, the Exchange and Lodging offer calling cards.

If you have an American cellular phone, you will most likely not be able to use it here -- the frequencies are different from those used here for such service and can interfere with other users.

IN-PROCESSING: Shortly after your arrival you will be eligible to receive your newcomers benefits. These benefits include:

  • Our in-processing office will provide an easy to follow step-by-step sheet of areas you need to check with including finance, housing, driver training, vehicle registration, etc.
  • Loan Closet - Pots, pans, dishes, small appliances, car seats, strollers and more are loaned out for 30 days or until you receive your household goods.
  • Part I - ACS (Army Community Service) Newcomer’s Orientation: A welcome briefing by the installation commander and key representatives from the community. The orientation also includes a “Taste of Japan” luncheon. The orientation is held the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month at the Camp Zama Community Club. This program is mandatory for military and civilian sponsors. Adult family members are welcome and encouraged to attend. Free child care during the orientation is available year-round for children up to 12 years, but call the Child Development Center in advance to make a reservation.
  • Part II - Japanese Headstart: A one-week Japanese language, customs and culture course is conducted by the Academic Training Division (Education Center). Adult family members may also attend.
  • Note: Military and civilian employees are required to attend both of these programs within 60 days of their arrival at Camp Zama.

Since most of us are not fluent in Japanese, we are dependent on English language media for information and entertainment. American Forces Radio and Television Service offers one AM radio channel (Eagle 810 for Tokyo area. Check for your local AFN radio station) with rotating formats to try to serve all listening interests. Currently there are eight television channels available at no cost through Armed Forces Network (AFN)-TV as well as dozens of additional cable channels offered through the Exchange commercial vendor. TV channels also try to address all viewing tastes, with a good variety of network series, movies, sports and news. There are no commercials. AFN-TV also broadcasts segments of interest to local communities, including weather, exchange rates, community events, and other items. AFN-TV is only available through the cable (no fee if not subscribing for additional cable services) or via an antenna and decoder box. The Stars and Stripes is an English language newspaper published for members of the U.S. forces, five days a week. You will find it a comprehensive, balanced source of international, U.S., and local area news with regular features such as comics, advice columns, classified ads, etc. The Stars and Stripes is sold by the Exchange and Commissary, in machines on U.S. installations, and is available by home delivery in many communities. All military installations have video rental outlets. There are often English video rental stores in the local community. Most military installations also have at least one movie theater, plus there are often cinemas in the local community which show English language films. Just remember there are other things to do in Japan besides watching TV.

The Army Education Center located at Camp Zama has qualified personnel to provide educational as well as vocational-technical guidance. Military personnel, civilians and family members on a space available basis, have many opportunities to continue their education while in Japan. Several civilian institutions offer resident credit at the Army Education Center. Classes are usually held during off duty hours. Central Texas College, University of Maryland and University of Phoenix all participate in these programs.

The Legal Assistance Office is available to assist with a wide range of legal matters. Services provided include, but not limited to, wills preparation, power of attorney, marriage and divorce procedures, and tax assistance. Appointments are required for most services.

For pet import, see: /Units/vet/import .


  1. Army Asu Overseas Stripes Regulation

    army overseas assignment regulation

  2. PPT

    army overseas assignment regulation

  3. Soldiers Ensure Overseas Training, Readiness Continue Amid Pandemic > U

    army overseas assignment regulation

  4. Army Overseas Service Stripes Regulation

    army overseas assignment regulation

  5. Glimpses into Third Army overseas operations

    army overseas assignment regulation

  6. Army Overseas Service Stripes Regulation

    army overseas assignment regulation


  1. AUSA 2022

  2. Assignment Maritime Regulation

  3. AUSA 2023

  4. AUSA 2023

  5. Military regulation is pretty clear #military #veteran

  6. Australia's Army OVERSEAS APPLICANTS


  1. PDF Army Publishing Directorate

    We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us.

  2. PDF Tour Lengths and Tours of Duty OCONUS

    change of station (PCS) allowances for an overseas assignment, as specified in the Joint Travel Regulations paragraphs 030302 or 032301, are not required to serve the established tour length for the country or overseas area where assigned. See DoDI 1315.18. 4. Key Billets. For key billet policy and assignment procedures see DoDI 1315.18 and

  3. PDF Assignments, Details, and Transfers: Overseas Service

    Army Regulation 614-30 Assignments, Details, and Transfers Overseas Service Headquarters Department of the Army Washington, DC 30 August 2001 UNCLASSIFIED. Report Documentation Page Report Date 30 Aug 2001 ... o Changes dental criteria for overseas assignments (table 3-1, rule 37).

  4. PDF Fact Sheet

    Army Overseas Service Ribbons (OSR) are awarded to Soldiers credited with a normal overseas tour completion. Tours lengths for Iraq and Afghanistan have not been established, but Soldiers who serve 9 continuous months in a TCS/TDY status, or 11 cumulative months (within a 24 month period), are credited with a short overseas tour.

  5. PDF Department of the Army Personnel Policy Guidance for Overseas

    Cross employees, and Army Air Force Exchange Services employees. Contributing Authors. HQDA G-1 is not the sole author of the PPG, the following HQDA staff elements, commands and agencies contribute to its content: G-2, G-3/5/7, G-4, G-8, HRC, OTSG, OTJAG, IMCOM, TRADOC, FORSCOM, USARC, NGB, and First Army. Since the input provides Army

  6. PDF Command Sponsorship and Travel Overseas

    This regulation applies to Soldiers assigned to or on orders for assignment to units or organizations stationed in the European theater. Records Management. Records created as a result of processes prescribed by this regulation must be identified, maintained, and disposed of according to AR 25-400-2.

  7. PDF Assignments, Details, and Transfers Overseas Service

    Army Regulation 614-30 Assignments, Details, and Transfers Overseas Service Headquarters Department of the Army Washington, DC 30 March 2010 UNCLASSIFIED. SUMMARY of CHANGE AR 614-30 Overseas Service ... Overseas Service *Army Regulation 614-30 Effective 14 April 2010 H i s t o r y .

  8. AR 614-30 Overseas Service

    MilReg Top Army Regulations. Army Regulation AR 614-30, Overseas Service, prescribes policies and procedures governing the selection, assignment, and rotation of Army military personnel to, from, and between overseas duty stations. This regulation includes details on service obligation requirements, tour lengths, and eligibility for overseas ...

  9. Employees on 5-year rule now given higher priority

    In terms of priority assignment rights, this meant that overseas registrants were second only to employees, who are being separated by reduction in force, i.e., Priority 1 registrants.

  10. U.S. Army Overseas Service: Tour Length Policy Revision

    Army Regulation 614-30, Army Overseas Service, includes policy and guidance on the tour lengths for overseas areas. This regulation provided guidance for single Soldiers on unaccompanied tours to ...

  11. PDF Army Compensation and Entitlements Policy

    Department of the Army Washington, DC *Army Regulation 637-1 26 July 2021 Effective 26 August 2021 Military Personnel Pay, Allowances, and Incentives Army Compensation and Entitlements Policy History. This publication is a new De-partment of the Army regulation. Summary. agency, in the grade of colonel or the ci-This regulation prescribes

  12. Command Sponsorship for OCONUS Move

    Command sponsorship is the permission needed to have family members accompany you with full military benefits during your assignment overseas. If command sponsorship is not included in your original orders, you must make a request through your chain of command. Once you've made the request, you will receive specific instructions that must be ...

  13. PDF Army in Europe Regulation 690-500.592, 6 September 2018

    Summary. This regulation prescribes policy for authorizing overseas allowances, such as living quarters allowance (LQA), temporary quarters subsistence allowance (TQSA), separate maintenance allowance (SMA), and foreign transfer allowance (FTA), for appropriated fund (APF) civilian employees of the U.S. Army in Europe. Summary of Change.

  14. Moving to Japan

    The official website for United States Army Japan. An official website of the United States government ... One of the first orders of business you will take care of when you arrive at your overseas assignment is to get your ID card. This card is required to get you on post, into the Commissary and Exchange, pick up and mail packages at the Post ...

  15. Overseas Assignments

    An overseas assignment translates to months of preparation and planning. U.S. government employees and their family members assigned to a U.S. embassy or consulate overseas can visit the Overseas Briefing Center (OBC) in Arlington, VA to use their collection of resources for researching overseas posts and the logistics of an international move. Hours of operation. […]

  16. PDF Tour Lengths and Tours of Duty OCONUS

    Regulations paragraphs 030302 or 032301, are not required to serve the established tour length for the country or overseas area where assigned. See DoDI 1315.18. 4. Key Billets. For key billet policy and assignment procedures see DoDI 1315.18 and Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel and Readiness) memorandum, "Overseas Tour Length Change -


    The governing regulation is Army Regulation 614-200, Section III. Contact the Fort Benning Legal Assistance Office to arrange help evaluating your compassionate action request and assistance with preparing necessary documents. Office of the Staff Judge Advocate Legal Assistance Office 6450 Way Avenue Fort Benning, GA 31905 706-545-3281/3282