200 Interesting Historical Events to Write About [New Tips]
Have you ever wondered how multifaceted and diverse history is? It impresses us with a wide variety of interesting historical events. The mysteriousness and unpredictability make studying them even more exciting.
Nevertheless, writing a speech or an essay on history can be quite challenging for students. Since there are thousands of incidents to write about, choosing a good topic becomes incredibly difficult. Unprepared for an impressive diversity of major events in world history, you can get discouraged. Even delivering insightful information may start to seem stressful.
Fortunately, you have landed on our page! Our writing team has prepared a list of interesting events in history.
Are you looking for topics for a research project? Or maybe for a speech on National History Day? Or are you just searching for historical presentation tips? We can help you with everything! Just go to the corresponding section of the article and find useful information for you.
- Interesting Events
- National History Day
- Black History Month
- More Project Ideas
- Project Tips
- PowerPoint Ideas
- Speech Topics
- Presentation Tips
- History Questions
- 30 More Things
🔥 10 Interesting Historical Events
- The Chernobyl Disaster – 1986.
- Cold War – 1947-1991.
- The Black Plague – 1347-1348.
- The French Revolution – 1789-1799.
- DNA Discovery – 1869.
- Revolution in America – 1775-1783.
- The First Flight – 1903.
- The Vietnam War – 1955-1975.
- Salem Witch Trials – 1692-1693.
- Wall Street Market Crash – 1929.
🤗 Interesting History Project Ideas
An assignment of preparing a history project can provoke diverse emotions. One student can be extremely enthusiastic about the task. For another person, the history project can become a real trial.
The project preparation includes an impressive number of challenges. However, the main requirement for an outstanding history project is a fascinating topic.
Our team developed a list of interesting topics for a history project. So, do not waste your time on the topic search. Take a look at our ideas and chose the one you find the most insightful. If this information isn’t enough, you’re always welcome to check out a free essay database and get even more topics to discuss.
📅 Topics for National History Day
- American Revolutionary War.
- Great awakening’ history.
- History of Soviet Union.
- The Canadian Indians History: the White Paper 1969 .
- The development of women’s rights.
- Southeast Asia history: Chinese imperial expansion.
- Belize and Mexico history: people and civilizations.
- Liberty! The American Revolution.
- Christianity and Asceticism in the history of religion.
- Women’s status after the American Revolution.
- The consequences of interaction in cultures and civilizations.
- Abraham Lincoln’s thoughts in American history.
- The British mandates history: Jewish and Palestinian relations.
- Role of the civilian population in World War I.
- The Industrial Revolution and beyond: culture, work, and social change.
- World history: Enlightenment in society
- Concept of imperial powers in history.
- The major causes of the Cold War between the Soviet Union and the United States.
- History of Hitler’s Nazi propaganda.
- History of Russian Revolution in 1917.
- The Dark Ages as the Golden Ages of European history.
- Picasso and his paintings in modern world history.
- A social and political history of the United States.
- European colonization impacts on the native American population.
- Principles of liberalism and its connection to Enlightenment and conservatism.
- Japanese occupation in Philipines. Analyze the background of this event. How did World War II affect the occupation? Indicate the leaders of both parties. Analyze the consequences of Japanese occupation in Philipines for both countries.
- Pythagoras and his theorem in math.
- Mendeleev and his periodic table in chemistry.
- Einstein and his theories in physics.
- Martin Luther King as the most outstanding historical figure of USA history. Briefly introduce his biography. Why his speech I Have a Dream is so widely-discussed up till nowadays? Comment on Martin Luther King’s impact on the USA development.
- World War I and World War II. Compare and contrast the two world wars. What were the outcomes of both conflicts? In your opinion, during which war the military development was more effective?
- The mysterious origins of the USA flag. Did Americans have their flag during the American Revolution of 1775? Elaborate on that do the colors and the figures on the flag mean. When did the flag become an official symbol of America?
🖤 Topics for Black History Month
- Racism and segregation in American history.
- Reconsidering the history: Holocaust denial. The XXI century prospects.
- How useful is the term ‘fascism’ when applied generically to describe the far-right in interwar Europe?
- Rosa Parks: biography and influences.
- Blacks’ role in abolishing slavery.
- The Holocaust and Nazi Germany.
- Genocide in Rwanda: insiders and outsiders.
- Role African American women in the civil right movement.
- The propaganda of Adolf Hitler and Jim Jones .
- The rise of fascism.
- Warfare and violence in ancient times .
- Suffering in the ancient Roman and Greek periods.
- Why did Europe undergo such a bloody and destructive period from 1914-1945?
- Holocaust history, its definition, and causes .
- German concentration camps and Japanese-American internment camps. Compare and contrast the conditions and distinctive features of German concentration camps and Japanese-American internment camps.
- Tortures in the ancient world. What were the forms of torture?Analyze the tortures in different parts of the world. Give your own opinion: are there any positive sides of tortures implementation?
- The Armenian genocide of 1915. Elaborate on the sequence of the events. What were the reasons for the genocide? Comment on the outcomes of this dark event.
- The dark side of World War II. Comment on the human losses during World War II. Elaborate on the horror of being in captivity.
- The horror of concentration camps . Analyze psychology as the tool of people’s extirpation. How did the torment was killing people? What was the reason for creating concentration camps?
- Terror during the Soviet Union’s existence. Are there any social studies that examine this issue? Comment on the ways terror was implemented. What were the reasons for terroristic actions? Analyze the opposition of terror. Elaborate on the outcomes.
📝 Other Historical Project Ideas
- Greek city-states – ancient civilizations.
- Islam and Christianity impacts on the medieval word.
- Comparisons of early Greek and early Roman cultures.
- Arts of China: tomb of Liu Sheng and Dou Wan Jade suits.
- The collapse of the greatest ancient civilizations: the Maya, the Aztec, and the Inca civilizations.
- Art history: female figures in Ancient Greek sculpture.
- Historical and theological context of Byzantine Iconoclasm.
- The history of Egypt and the Fertile Crescent.
- Concepts of the rise and fall of the Babylonian and Egyptian empires.
- Ancient civilizations: the Maya Empire.
- Weapon development in early European civilizations.
- History of Celtic Christianity.
- Greek and Roman art on the campus.
- The first civilizations of North America.
- The Western Roman Empire: the significance of its collapse.
- The Agricultural Revolution: from the Neolithic Age to a New Era of agricultural growth.
- Rome in the Middle Ages and cultural transformation.
- The Stone Age period and its evolution.
- Civil Rights History .
- History of empires in the past and modern world.
- The comparison of Roman and Mongol empires.
- Military equipment and the technology of China in the Early Modern world.
- Ancient history: the Great Pyramid of Giza.
- Religion in Ancient Rome, the Byzantine Empire and the Holy Roman Empire.
- The Mongol Empire . Analyze the effects of the Mongol Empire’s expansion in China, Korea, and Japan.
- Ptolemy Family as one of the most powerful families in world history. Briefly describe the family history. How did this family impact ancient Egypt? While analyzing, focus your attention on the last queen of this line—Cleopatra VII. How did Cleopatra contribute to the prosperity of ancient Egypt?
- Cultural progress as one of the most interesting topics of history. Comment on the development of culture in various parts of the world. Were there any periods when it was regressing, not progressing? Compare the distinctive features of culture in Europe, Asia, and America.
- Adolf Hitler’s art. Briefly introduce Hitler’s biography. How did his lifespan affect his development as an artist? Comment on the topics reflected in Hitler’s artworks.
- The role of the church in the life of the middle ages in Europe. Analyze the connection between the church and the governmental sector in medieval times. What was the impact of the church on education and the economy in Europe? Comment on the problems of the medieval church.
- Waitangi Treaty history. Examine the intentions, expectations, and results of signing the Treaty of Waitangi.
🥇 History Project Tips
History project development is hardly ever uncomplicated. Sometimes, the process of preparation can result in a massive discouragement for students.
But wait, let us tell you something.
Our team of experts gathered the most useful tips in one place. Use them and make your project development process more pleasurable!
- Search for an appropriate topic. There are plenty of fascinating historical facts to talk about. The choice of the most relevant one will make your project indeed successful. Choose wisely. The project about the cultural regression of Europe on the European cultural day is a horrible idea. Unless you want to fail. Pick the topic that will be interesting for the audience and relevant to the event.
- Become a real expert in your field. To achieve the highest results, conduct the background and primary source research. You need to be ready to spend a lot of time investigating the topic on a deep level. It will help you to create a well-developed history project.
- Keep your materials in order. The development of historical projects requires a wide variety of materials. Prevent a mess! Sort out all the sources you are using and keep track of the additional materials. A wise arrangement will make the research process more smooth. This way, you will get the desired final product.
- Plan your time wisely. Even a dedicated history fan can develop a sophisticated history project in a short time. Therefore, don’t follow the popular student’s rule “I’m doing everything the night before the due date.” Divide your work into small chunks and create a project gradually. Also, review what you have done from time to time. It will help you to arrange your working plan to achieve a great result. Be flexible and create a worthy project.
- Create a unique final product. Your project has to be special and memorable. Provide some bright examples, introduce fascinating historical facts. Use additional aids (slides, posters, etc.) to impress your audience. Nobody is intrigued by common historical knowledge. Use a narrative writing style to deliver information effectively.
- Back-up everything! Do you think that the highest level of pain is then you break your leg? You are mistaken. Nothing can cause more pain then accidentally deleted documents or the missing piece of vital information. You might be asking yourself how to avoid this pain. In this case, here is the answer. Make a copy of your work and upload the document on a cloud. You will have easy access to it without risks of losing data.
😍 Interesting History Topics for Presentation
Are you stressing out about the upcoming history presentation? Are you lost in the topics to present? Are you not sure if you need any visual aid for your performance or not?
We have good news for you!
Our team collected the most interesting topics for a presentation. Below, you’ll find two sections. The first one offers topics for presentation with visual aids. The second one provides a wide variety of expressive informative speech topics. Picking one of them, you can deliver your information without any additional effects.
Scroll down and choose something useful for you
📽 Ideas for PowerPoint Presentations
- Rococo and neoclassical art.
- Historical art periods: a critical evaluation of Baroque and Rococo artistic styles.
- Collective invention during the Industrial Revolution.
- Renaissance versus Baroque.
- The ancient civilization of Maya.
- Ash Kyrie art: looking into the eyes of war.
- Western world history presentation.
- Imagination, values, and emotions in different historical art periods.
- The historical development of fine arts in Korea from 1950 to the present.
- Harlem Renaissance: historical and social background.
- Cultural exchanges in the Medieval Period.
- World War II innovations.
- A history of modern Europe: from the Renaissance to the present.
- Examining an archeological site: the pyramids of Egypt. There are plenty of interesting historical facts to choose from. Additionally, include some bright images if Egyptian pyramids in your PowerPoint presentation. Imagine how impressed your audience will be!
- Mayan calendar system. Show the main figures and tables. It will be beneficial for your audience’s understanding of the material.
- The four voyages by Christopher Columbus . Use maps as visual aids to illustrate the directions of Columbus’s voyages.
- From World War One to globalization. Conduct a historical investigation on the period between WWI and the globalization era. Use charts and graphs to smooth the digestion of information.
- The Kings of Ancient Egypt. Impress your audience with interesting facts about Egyptian kings. Appropriate images will help you to deliver information effectively.
- Scientific Revolution. Comment on the development of psychology, philosophy, physics, chemistry, and medicine. Illustrate the key figures of the scientific revolution in a PowerPoint presentation.
- World War II: consequences for the world. Even an impromptu speech will be successful if you use this topic. But if you add effective visual aids, your presentation will become even more memorable.
🎙 Historical Speech Topics
- Progressive Era in the United States.
- American Revolution and the crisis of the Constitution of the USA.
- Welcome to Ancient Egypt. When legends were born.
- Declaration of independence in American history.
- Concepts of feminism as one of the most controversial topics.
- Slavery and the Civil War relationship.
- The civil rights movement: oppressing the black population.
- The American War of Independence.
- The kings of ancient Egypt.
- Mongol conquest’ causes, battles, and results.
- Abraham Lincoln against slavery as one of the most interesting history informative speech topics.
- History’s definition and concept.
- The Great War’s history.
- Pearl Harbor history .
- French revolution and the Napoleonic era.
- Enlightenment in society – a topic for a successful public speaking performance.
- The significance of Martin Luther and the protestant reformation in the history of western civilization.
- Roman Lifestyles’ influence on civilization.
- History of Christianity contributions to the Western World.
- The Christian Crusades.
- African-Americans social reform.
- The war finance feature in promoting military success.
- European Christianity and its decline from the XVI century. Think of possible reasons for Christianity’s decline. Introduce them in your speech and elaborate.
- The Black Saturday Bushfires – a tragedy of 2009. As the event is relatively recent, try to search for information on social media. Social networking can assist in finding and processing the data.
- World War II as the most devastating war in world history. Introduce your own opinion regarding the losses of World War II. Provide a critical analysis of WWII’s impact on the modern world development.
- The heritage of the Soviet Union. Comment on of the Eastern, Central, and Western Europe unification. Compare and contrast social and cultural progress among countries of the Soviet Union.
- The history of the Berlin Wall. It’s one of the most insightful ideas for public speaking. Analyze the lifespan of the wall from its construction till the falling. What was the impact of the Berlin Wall on the country?
- The Sumerian
- The Akkadians
- The Amorites
- The Assyrians
- The Chaldeans
- Golden Pectoral—a famous cultural artifact. Where was Golden Pectoral found? Analyze the historical background. Where is it kept now?
- The European Union creation. Analyze the historical background of EU creation. What is the specific purpose of the EU? Briefly introduce the timeline of the process of EU creation. How does it operate now?
🗨 History Presentation Tips
Do you want to prepare an outstanding history presentation, but not sure where to start? Not a problem! Our team created a list of useful history presentation tips. Examine and implement them in your preparation process to ensure high-quality results.
- Create a strong introduction. The main purpose of the introduction put the listeners into the picture of the topic. That’s why, initially, you have to spark the interest of the audience. For that, include an attention-getter at the beginning of your presentation. Moreover, make sure your thesis statement is clear, and you previewed all the essential points. This will help your audience to follow up with your ideas.
- Develop an effective conclusion .To finish your speech successfully, spend time working on your conclusion. It has to summarize your arguments and provide a clear picture of the discussion. A small tip from us: An inspirational thought at the end will make your presentation more memorable.
- Work on the organization and development of the presentation. A clear and easy-to-follow structure is a formula for success. Thus, make sure you have strong transitions between the points. Pay attention to the accuracy of the information you present. Include proper citations of the sources and an annotated bibliography, if necessary. It will make your work informative and prevent a lot of misunderstandings.
- Make the delivery of your presentation effective. A natural posture, appropriate body language, well-established eye contact are underrated. They are critical for good delivery! The wise use of your voice’s capabilities will put you one level above the other performers. Practice a lot before delivering your speech to astonish the audience.
- Your visual aids have to be professional and clearly readable.
- Always refer to the visual aid while presenting the information (for instance, “Take a look at the graph”).
- Your PowerPoint slides will be useful only if you put the key ideas on it, but not the entire text.
- Before giving the speech, make sure all the technologies are working properly. Ensure that no pitfalls are waiting for you.
💯 Interesting Historical Questions
Our team’s aim is to help you succeed in history studying. Therefore, we decided that a list of basic historical questions will be useful for you. Look through it and ask yourself what is most appropriate for you.
- What is the connection between the Enlightenment and romantic age?
- What are the effects of the Industrial Revolution in relation to WW 1?
- What is the history of the imperialism era from 1848 to 1914?
- What are the parallels between the Revolutions of 1848 and Arab revolutions?
- What is the timeline of the Mexican war?
- Should the United States have annexed the Philippines?
- What is the role of airplanes during WW I (1914-1918)?
- What are the cultural relations between white and black people?
- What is the national and factual identity of Britons?
- What is the history of Athens?
- What is the impact of Julius Cesar on Rome’s development?
- What are the major aspects and historical events of the Cold War?
- What are the three Rs of the new deal in United States history?
- What was the role of the gardens in Great Depression?
- What was the Mesopotamian influence on the Oman Peninsula?
- What is the importance of US Foreign Policy between 1890-1991?
- What are the features of the Russian working-class movement?
- What is the role of America in World War 1?
- What are the causes of depression in the 1890s?
- Why the Scientific Revolution did not take place in China – or did it?
- What were the Great Britain Empire’s Alliances?
- What is the US Role in the Egypt-Israel war?
- Who are the legendary warriors of Old Japan?
- What are the similarities and differences between Malcolm X and Martin Luther King?
- What is the importance of the unification of GDR and FRG in the history of Germany?
- What effect did Industrialisation have on the levels of water pollution? Elaborate on the link between the lack of drinkable water and the Industrial Revolution.
- How did the development of psychology during the Scientific Revolution impact the world’s perception?
- What is the history of astronomy development and steroids studying during the Scientific Revolution?
- What are the most fun facts about the history of the world?
- What are some concepts of civilization development that are significant for the world’s history holistic picture?
👌 30 More Interesting Things in History to Write about
You have probably noticed already that there is plenty of interesting topics of history to write about. The essay writing process can become more pleasurable if you know what to analyze. When the students have a clear view of the time frame and territory they need to explore, they struggle less with a paper.
In case you’re asking yourself how to make the search for fascinating ideas easier, we have an answer. We prepared a pleasant bonus for you—a collection of interesting topics about history.
Five interesting things to write about in world history:
- World War I .
- World War II .
- Role of democracy in the world .
- Revolutions’ history and definition .
Five interesting things to write about in European history:
- The Roman Empire .
- The Thirty Years War .
- Protestant Reformation .
- Enlightenment and revolution .
- European Union .
Five interesting things to write about in US history:
- The Civil War .
- Progressive Era.
- Race relations and women’s status .
- Native American culture and American Indians .
- The Compromise of 1850 .
Five interesting things to write about in ancient history :
- The Stone Age period.
- Greek city-states.
- Ancient Egypt history .
- Mesopotamian civilization.
- Maya, Aztec, and Inca collapse .
Five interesting things to write about in modern history :
- Total War in modern world history .
- Industrial Revolution .
- Scientific Revolution .
- Renaissance period .
- Great Awakening’s history.
Five interesting biographies to write about:
- Alexander the Great .
- Karl Marx .
- Napoleon Bonaparte .
- Abraham Lincoln .
- Adolf Hitler .
Thank you for reading our article! We hope you found some useful tips and chose an interesting topic for your assignment. Do not forget to leave your comment and share our page with your friends!
- The 25 Moments From American History That Matter Right Now: Time
- 5 (Recent) Historical Events You Should Discuss with Your Students: Josh Work, Edutopia
- Ideas, National History Day: Indiana Historical Society
- 3 Ways to Make a Good Presentation Great: Geoffrey James, Inc.com
- How to Convert Your Paper into a Presentation: Writing Studio, Thompson Writing Program, Duke University
- Oral Presentation and Powerpoint: The John A. Dutton e-Education Institute, the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences at The Pennsylvania State University
- Stages of a Historical Research Project: DoHistory
- Project Categories: National History Day, NHD
- 150+ Presentation Topic Ideas for Students [Plus Templates]: Orana Velarde, Visual Learning Center by Visme
- History: The Writing Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Writing a Thesis and Making an Argument: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, The University of Iowa
- African American History Month: The Library of Congress
- Writing with Writers, Speech Writing, Tips from the Pros: Teacher’s Activity Guide, Scholastic
- 20 Public Speaking Tips for Students: Arlin Cuncic, Verywell Mind
- Share via Facebook
- Share via Twitter
- Share via LinkedIn
- Share via email
You might also like
Top 26 Funny Tongue Twisters from 21 Countries
14 Free Language Learning Apps [+Bonus: 5 Free Websites]
very brief and quick information
- History Classics
- Your Profile
- Find History on Facebook (Opens in a new window)
- Find History on Twitter (Opens in a new window)
- Find History on YouTube (Opens in a new window)
- Find History on Instagram (Opens in a new window)
- Find History on TikTok (Opens in a new window)
- This Day In History
- History Podcasts
- History Vault
- History Travel
Great depression, asian history, world war i, world war ii, immigration.
Explore your training options in 10 minutes Get Started
- Best Coding Bootcamps
- Best Online Bootcamps
- Best Web Design Bootcamps
- Best Data Science Bootcamps
- Best Technology Sales Bootcamps
- Best Data Analytics Bootcamps
- Best Cybersecurity Bootcamps
- Best Digital Marketing Bootcamps
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
- Browse All Locations
- Web Development
- Digital Marketing
- Machine Learning
- See All Subjects
- Bootcamps 101
- Data Science
- Software Engineering
- Full-Stack Development
- Career Changes
- View all Career Discussions
- Mobile App Development
- Product Management
- UX/UI Design
- What is a Coding Bootcamp?
- Are Coding Bootcamps Worth It?
- How to Choose a Coding Bootcamp
- Best Online Coding Bootcamps and Courses
- Best Free Bootcamps and Coding Training
- Coding Bootcamp vs. Community College
- Coding Bootcamp vs. Self-Learning
- Bootcamps vs. Certifications: Compared
- What Is a Coding Bootcamp Job Guarantee?
- How to Pay for Coding Bootcamp
- Ultimate Guide to Coding Bootcamp Loans
- Best Coding Bootcamp Scholarships and Grants
- Education Stipends for Coding Bootcamps
- Get Your Coding Bootcamp Sponsored by Your Employer
- GI Bill and Coding Bootcamps
- Tech Intevriews
- Career Advice
- Our Enterprise Solution
- Connect With Us
- Reskill America
- Partner With Us
- Resource Center
- Graduate Stories
- Partner Spotlights
- Bootcamp Prep
- Bootcamp Admissions
- University Bootcamps
- Coding Tools
- Tech Guides
- Tech Resources
- Online Learning
- Tech Salaries
- Associate Degree
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree
- University Admissions
- Best Schools
- Bootcamp Financing
- Higher Ed Financing
- Financial Aid
The Top 10 Most Interesting History Research Topics
Choosing history research topics is one of the hardest and most time-consuming things to do, especially if there is no guidance. You have to employ the right research skills to find authentic sources and ensure that your history research questions are precise and clear.
So to make your work easier, we have curated history research paper topics for college students and high schoolers, as well as examples of history research questions you can use for your assignment.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
What Makes a Strong History Research Topic?
Clarity makes a strong history research topic. History is a broad subject, so your topic should be well-defined and your language should be simple enough for the reader to understand the basic outline of your history research project. In other words, there should be no ambiguity. An ambiguous topic will be much harder to write than a clear one.
Tips for Choosing a History Research Topic
- Understand the requirements. Pay attention to your academic level and make sure that you are clear on what is expected of you. Keep referring to your assignment as you go along to ensure that you do not deviate from it.
- Choose a topic that interests you. If your history topic is boring, doing the research and writing the paper will become tedious work. It is important that you select a topic that appeals to you and that you will enjoy writing about. Even if you choose a controversial topic, it’s worth pursuing as long as it will motivate you to keep writing.
- Be objective. Movies such as Pearl Harbor have romanticized history as their subject, so make sure you select a topic based on facts and not merely your opinion. This will help in removing bias from your research questions as well.
- Begin your search for research sources early. Ensure that there are adequate primary and secondary sources for your research assignment. You can also consult other alternative sources for your research. Remember to also make use of your high school or college librarian. They will guide you toward reliable sources.
- Consult others when necessary. Whenever your assignment requirements are unclear to you, consult your professor. You can also brainstorm with fellow students to get more ideas on what topic you should select, or visit your university’s writing center to get a refresher on how to write strong topic sentences.
What’s the Difference Between a Research Topic and a Research Question?
A research topic refers to a broad idea that you may have chosen for your history research paper. For example, “modern history” is a general topic from which you can get various, more specific topics, such as “the role of globalization in industrialization.”
A research question takes a broad topic and narrows it down to a more specific subject. Your question will help in selecting the right sources. A research question answers the what, why, and how of the research topic. For example, what role has industrialization played in globalization?
How to Create Strong History Research Questions
A strong history research question should be empirically sound. This means that it should be narrow enough to do an in-depth analysis. However, it should not be so narrow that it can be answered with a simple yes or no. A simple search on Google should not answer your research question.
According to Kristin Poling from the Department of History at Harvard, formulating a research question requires preliminary research. You need to see whether there are authentic sources available to answer your question, and you need to understand where the gaps in the literature are. Strong questions lead to strong thesis statements.
Top 10 History Research Paper Topics
1. religion in ancient greece.
Any list of history topics about ancient Greek religion is bound to contain some gems. By digging into cultural patterns, you can explore how religion affected the social, political, religious, military, and economic development of Greece. You could even venture outside the boundaries of Greece and investigate how Christian symbols were influenced by the ancient Greeks.
2. Causes of the American Revolution
The American Revolution, also known as the United States War of Independence, is an important American historical event that occurred between 1775 and 1783. Researching the American revolutionaries behind the Boston Tea Party is a great way to understand how monumental social conflicts bring about the rise and fall of nations.
3. American Neutrality in World War Ⅰ
Also known as the First War or the Great War, World War Ⅰ was the first major global war of the 20th Century, and it lasted between 1914 and 1918. If you choose this topic, you will be able to analyze why America first made the foreign policy decision to avoid taking part in the war, as well as why it changed its mind later on.
4. Effects of the Allies’ Occupation of Germany
The Allied occupation of Germany began in 1945 after Germany was defeated in the Second World War. It refers to the joint occupation of Germany by the US, Great Britain, Soviet Union, and France. If you select this history research topic for your assignment, you will be able to delve deeper into the effects of the occupation on both Germany and the rest of the world.
5. Ronald Reagan and the End of the Cold War
The Cold War was a 20th Century battle of supremacy between the United States and the Soviet Union involving nuclear weapons. By discussing the role Ronald Reagan played in ending the Cold War, you could gain insight into the diplomatic history between these two powers or interpret how Reagan’s actions affected the course of American society.
6. Political, Economic, and Social Causes of the French Revolution
The French Revolution, which occurred between 1789 and 1799, significantly shifted the social and political ideals of all 18th Century European countries. This riveting European history research topic provides a means to explore the dangers of classism and its effects on civilian life.
7. The Legacy of Alexander the Great
You cannot learn about historical figures in ancient times without coming across Alexander the Great, the king of ancient Macedonia. Selecting this ancient history topic for your assignment will be a fascinating dive into how this key figure in history influenced Greek and Asian culture as he expanded his empire.
8. Rise of the Catholic Church as a Political Institution in the Middle Ages
The Middle Ages is a historical era between the fall of the Roman Empire in 476 CE and the beginning of the Renaissance period in the 14th century. Selecting this topic will help you understand the factors that influenced the rise of the Catholic Church as a powerful political institution in medieval Europe.
9. Impact of the Industrial Revolution on Working-Class Families
The Industrial Revolution was an era between the late 18th century and the middle of the 19th century when great strides were made in engineering, production, and manufacturing. It affected the economic and social lives of the working class and shifted gender roles. Studying industrialization effects would lend itself well to university students with access to rare books.
10. The Role of Martin Luther King Jr in the Civil Rights Movement
The Civil Rights Movement is one of the best Black history research paper topics for college students. One of the most impactful social movements, this movement was a response to the social injustice toward African Americans that continued after the abolition of slavery. Martin Luther King Jr was a key figure whose importance to American history cannot be overstated.
Other Examples of History Research Topics & Questions
History research topics.
- American Folk Art History
- Religious Symbolism in the Renaissance Era
- Impact of the Westward Expansion on Native Americans
- Amelia Earhart’s Impact on Women in Aviation
- The Rise and Fall of the Dutch Republic
History Research Questions
- In what ways have Alois Riegl’s theories shaped modern art today?
- How did the Renaissance shift the worldview of European thinkers?
- How did the Berlin Conference influence British Colonialism in Africa?
- How have women in tech history shaped the role of American women in STEM in the 21st Century?
- In what ways did the 17th century’s political and military shifts in Spain affect British rule?
Choosing the Right History Research Topic
Whether you are a high school or a college student, there are many history topics from which you can select your research project. Selecting history topics for history is highly dependent on the type of paper you have chosen to write. Argumentative research paper topics will yield different results than a comparative study or a descriptive study.
Whether you choose to select a historical figure, the military clashes between the American settlers and Native Americans, or the role of women in industrialization, make sure that you narrow down your topic and choose something that answers a specific question about an interesting issue, period, or event.
History Research Topics FAQ
Historiography is the study of recorded historical events and their interpretations. In other words, historiographies help us understand how experienced writers have shaped what, how, and why a specific history subject was recorded and interpreted a certain way.
You start a research paper by beginning with a historical overview from which you can narrow down your topics and the history research questions that you want to address. From there, you will be able to carefully choose your primary and secondary sources. According to Purdue OWL, evaluating sources is an excellent place to begin a research assignment.
You can find many research sources from online university libraries as well as websites devoted to history. The Internet is full of curated libraries such as the American Historical Association, which has resources for historical researchers to help you join the ranks of the most expert writers in the field.
Yes, you can pursue an online degree in history. Many major universities offer online history degrees as an alternative to in-person degrees. You can look up the university of your choice and check the requirements for enrollment.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication .
Get matched with top bootcamps
Ask a question to our community, take our careers quiz.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
507 Interesting History Topics to Research
Did you know that time travel is possible? Researching historical topics allows us to do that. It not only reveals the origins of our existence. It also tells us who we are, and even enables us to glimpse into the future!
Our specialists will write a custom essay on any topic for 13.00 10.40/page
The process of investigating a topic in history is called a historical inquiry. Here are some recommendations on how to get started:
- Select an interesting history topic. It can be focused on an event, a person, or an idea.
- Define a research question within that topic. Make it narrow and manageable.
- Analyze historical data from different sources .
- Create a historical narrative using the data you’ve found. Use evidence to support your ideas.
Remember: working on a history project can be easy and fun if you find a research idea that excites you! Custom-writing.org experts are here to help in case you’re stuck when choosing a history topic. In our collection below, you can find cool historical events to write about. There are numerous topics on ancient and modern history of the US & the world. Go on reading to find the most inspiring idea! After you’re done but still not sure about a suitable variant, you can try a history topic generator with all the keyword options from our list.
- 🔝 Top 10 Topics
- 🇺🇸 US History
- 🌎 World History
- 🏰 European History
- 💂 British History
- 📜 History before 1500
- 🏭 Modern History
- 📡 20th Century History
- 🔝 20 Research Questions
- 🔍 References
🔝 Top 10 Interesting History Topics
- The US’s role in World War I
- Child labor during the Puritan era
- Religion during the Aztec times
- Causes of the Battle of Germantown
- Economic impact of the Titanic ’s sinking
- Bracero Program’s economic effect
- Cultural impact of the Spanish-American War
- Industrial Revolution’s impact on the environment
- The goal of Protestors at the 1968 Democratic Convention
- Women’s employment during the Great Depression
🇺🇸 Interesting US History Topics
The history of the United States starts before the European colonization . Then it follows a turbulent period of building an entirely new nation. In a short time, America became a global superpower. From the first colonies to Roaring Twenties and the Cold War – discover the highlights of American history!
- What were the relations between the first American colonies? That is a fascinating historical question for a research paper. See how the early settlements co-existed before the 1760s. Learn how their alliances were used for asserting defense and control.
- Alternatively, you could study the Stamp Act crisis of 1765 . See how it helped to unite the colonies and set the basis for future partnerships.
- The society of Puritans: truth and myths is a fascinating topic for those who are interested in people’s psychology and motivations. Puritans were a rigorous and highly religious society rooted in misogyny. See if they were really as prudent as today’s media portrays them.
- Tobacco Trade in early American colonies is another great US history topic. Tobacco plantations in Virginia became a way for laborers to be granted freedom. This caused a rapid expansion of the New World colonies.
- What are the reasons behind the Salem witch trials? That is one of the best US history research topics. A group of girls caused mass hysteria in superstitious Puritan society. Learn about their possible motives and the gruesome consequences of their actions.
- In the early colonies, there existed laws aimed at restricting slaves’ behaviors. Choose Slave Codes and their influence on society as your essay topic and learn about the ruinous consequences of this practice.
- The Boston Massacre and the Boston Tea Party were the culmination of the growing tension between the colonists and the British authorities. You can write an excellent paper about the reasons behind these events.
- One of the iconic documents in US history, the Declaration of Independence , can be the subject of your essay. See how different colonies contributed to the drafts of the Declaration.
- The American Revolution was a conflict between America and Britain . You can write about the way the two countries perceived each other and how it influenced the outcome of the revolt.
- You can choose to write about an important person in US history. What made George Washington a key figure in Revolutionary America? That is a fascinating paper topic. One of the greatest leaders in US history, he proved that he could be trusted with power.
- How the Battle of Saratoga changed the course of the war? This one is another excellent history research essay topic. The victory in this battle provided Americans with much-needed confidence and gave them a new ally – France.
- What factors helped Americans win the revolutionary war? That is an exciting topic for high school students who want to understand early American history. You can mention the difficulties faced by the British, as well as the most prominent advantages of the American army.
- You can write a fascinating argumentative essay on the American Revolution and its effects on society .
- Discover how life in America changed for women, African Americans , and Native Americans after the Revolution.
- The creation of the American constitution is full of twists and turns. Americans had many different views on how their country should be governed. See how they managed to reach a compromise.
- Southern society before the Revolution is a topic that includes the analysis of the most prominent features of the Old South, such as its conservatism and emphasis on honor.
- Closely connected to it is the topic of the American South as a slave society before 1865 .
- See how the early Americans justified slavery from the Biblical, historical, and economic points of view.
- The American North before the revolution had many intriguing features, such as Manifest Destiny , progressiveness, and a riotous optimism… you can discuss it in an essay!
- Reconstruction of the South took place after the Revolution. See how it was planned and carried out over the course of 12 years. (You can focus on a particularly interesting aspect, such as the lives of African American people during the Reconstruction.)
- How the US became the world’s largest industrial nation? That is an interesting history research paper idea. During the second half of the 19th century, the US developed very rapidly. See how the Industrialization led to the birth of Capitalism as we know it today!
- Women in American society of the late 19th century were on the way of transforming the old values. They didn’t like the cult of domesticity and wanted to take an active part in society. Learn how the traditional female roles were changing during that epoch.
- The cowboy era: truth and myths is an exciting topic about one of the quintessential American images. Discover how the cowboys really lived, and what led to the decline of the cattle industry.
- The conflicts with Native Americans in the late 19th century is an important controversial topic. The closure of the final frontier was achieved through bloodshed and horrifying violence. Learn about the reasons behind these events.
- An exciting essay can be written about urbanization and immigration of the early 20th century . The glamour of American big city life was alluring to many people from different countries. Unfortunately, the reality was not all that glamorous…
- If you choose the Progressive Era of the USA as your essay topic, you can learn about the origins of modern activism groups. See how they were fighting with organized crime, inequality, and many other vital issues.
- A closely connected topic is women’s suffrage movement . The long struggle for women’s right to vote resulted in the Nineteenth Amendment. It was an essential step towards equality.
- The preservation movement of the early XX century is another topic concerning activism. President Roosevelt recognized that industrialization damages America’s wildlife. See how his policies gave rise to nature conservation and even Scouting!
- You can write a great essay on what caused the financial panic of 1907? The financial panic rocked Wall Street and exposed many problems with the American economy at the time.
- The Spanish-American war: causes and consequences is an intriguing essay topic. Learn how the United States managed to win the war while not being prepared for it at all.
- Write an essay about American expansion after 1877 and see how America was stretching its boundaries overseas. There were many reasons for it, including nationalist, economic, and religious.
- USA and Asia: the Boxer Rebellion is a topic closely connected to the expansion policies. In 1900, an attempt to occupy China resulted in disaster. Discuss the conflict and its consequences in an essay.
- An essential part of American history is wars. When Germany sank the ship Lusitania, killing many Americans, the country stopped being neutral. Choose the USA in World War I as your essay topic and see where it led.
- One of the most fascinating United States history research paper topics is Roaring Twenties: the culmination of the industrial era . During that epoch, the standard of living increased like never before. See how the country changed in just ten years.
- Prohibition era: the rise of organized crime is a topic that includes many interesting aspects, such as highly romanticized gangsters. However, the reality was not all that romantic. You can write about the reasons why Prohibition era turned out to be a disaster.
- The birth of mass media: radio, cinema, early television is a fun and easy history topics for research paper for middle school students. Learn about the origins of the entertainment culture and mass media stars in times of great uncertainty.
- Alternatively, you can focus on the question of what led to the birth of consumerism? Back in the 1920s, there were many technological advances for the middle-class people. This gave rise to advertising as we know it today.
- When America seemed to be at the peak of its triumph, everything fell apart. The beginning of the Great Depression is an intriguing subject. Learn about the chain of events that plunged the US into the longest and deepest crisis in its history.
- Write about the role of the USA in World War II and see how unresolved tension left after World War I influenced the political decisions of the Allies.
- The Vietnam War has left many scars on the American nation. Learn about the causes and consequences of the war that kept influencing US foreign policy for many decades.
- Watergate scandal and its lasting legacy is one of the most interesting American history topics. Discuss how the scandal led to paranoia and disillusionment in the US government.
- You may like to explore the question: who won the Cold War? While no one actually won the Cold War, it did influence ex-Soviet countries and the US in many negative ways. Discuss them in your essay!
Here are some other samples of American history research paper topics:
- Quakers: their views and legacy.
- Survival in the Jamestown colony.
- French intervention in the American revolution .
- The true story of Pocahontas.
- Eleanor Roosevelt and her role in American history .
- How did Valley Forge change the course of the Revolutionary war?
- What is Manifest destiny as a concept?
- American political and economic history .
- Daniel Boone and the Wilderness Road.
- Donner party: the true story of survival.
- American revolutions in Early 19th century
- The historical significance of the Oregon Trail.
- Californian Gold Rush : outcomes and consequences.
- Why and how did the US get involved in the Korean war?
- The Lewis and Clark expedition.
- Railroads and their impact on the US economy.
- Social welfare history in the USA
- What were the relations between America and France during the revolutionary war?
- The Underground Railroad: history and impact.
- Colonial unrest in Virginia, New York and Massachusetts .
- African Americans in the Civil War.
- The Civil War. The letters from the soldiers .
- How did the Federalist Party create the basis for the national economy and foreign policy?
- In what ways was the Whiskey Rebellion important?
- Benjamin Franklin’s biography .
- The American identity during Revolution: Loyalists vs. Patriots.
- James Madison and his role im shaping the American Constitution .
- Founding Fathers and republicanism.
- In what ways does the Constitution reflect the principles of both republican and democratic forms of government ?
- Shay’s rebellion and its aftermath.
- What is the legacy of the Amistad Case?
- Malcolm X as civil rights activist .
- Women in the Civil War.
- Racism in America between 1783 and 1836 .
- Alexander Hamilton and the foundation of American government.
- The legacy of John Brown.
- The civil rights movement in USA .
- Roger Sherman and the Connecticut Compromise.
- How did the Missouri
- Compromise trigger the Civil War?
- Dunmore Proclamation and its impact.
- What was the controversy around the Tenure of Office Act?
- How did the Mexican-American war help to shape the geographical boundaries of the USA?
- How did Black Laws affect the lives of African Americans?
- Ulysses S. Grant as a military leader and as a president.
- The true story of the notorious Wyatt Earp.
- Frederick Douglass’ fight for freedom.
- What are the reasons behind the lasting legacy of the Monroe doctrine?
- Indian reservations: truth and myths.
- Native Americans in the 19th century: assimilation and resistance.
- Outstanding Native American leaders: Sitting Bull, Tecumseh, Geronimo.
- What was the impact of the Great Chicago Fire?
- Muckrakers and the birth of investigative journalism.
- Rockefeller, Carnegie, Vanderbilt: the first tycoons.
- Why did the Homestead Strike fail?
- Child labor in the 19th century US.
- The 19th century nationalism in America.
- World War I and the Christmas Truce.
- The Battle of the Somme and its legacy.
- How did the building of the Panama Canal affect world trade?
- San Francisco earthquake: immediate and long-term effects.
- The history of the Pinkerton National Detective Agency.
- The reaction of the American citizens to the US entry into World War I .
- What was the impact of the Spanish flu epidemic in the US?
- Outstanding women: Dorothea Dix, Ida B. Wells, Alice Paul.
- The controversy of the Scopes Monkey Trial.
- The beginning of the Hollywood industry.
- Woodrow Wilson’s first and second administrations.
- Presidency and post-presidency of Theodore Roosevelt.
- What factors fuelled the rise of the Ku Klux Klan?
- Dust Bowl: causes and consequences.
- Harlem Renaissance and its impact on art and culture.
- What was the role of women in World War II ?
- The American Dream in the postwar US.
- Howard Hughes: magnate, aviator, eccentric.
- Mississippi Freedom Summer in 1964: whites in the movement .
- How did the 1968 Democratic Convention change America’s political landscape?
- Orangeburg Massacre: reasons, backlash, and the aftermath.
- 1969 Moon landing and the Space Race.
- The legacy of the Woodstock Music Festival.
- What was the cultural impact of the Kennedy assassinations?
- The Freedom of Information Act: pros and cons.
- Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society.
- Women in the Vietnam War.
- Manson family: truth and myths.
- The changing attitudes of the 60s.
- The history and legacy of Pop Art.
- Three Mile Island: the worst commercial nuclear accident in the history of the USA.
- The global nuclear arms race and the anti-nuclear movement.
- What were the lasting effects of the energy crisis?
- McCarthyism and Red Scare.
- Richard Nixon: presidency and impeachment.
- Ronald Reagan’s foreign policy.
- How did the Exxon Valdez oil spill change the oil industry?
- Bill Clinton’s New Economy.
- The aftermath of 9/11: Ground Zero.
🌎 Interesting World History Topics
World history studies past, present, and future from a global perspective. It includes many cultures and nations, each with their unique qualities. You can focus on differences or common features between cultures. Choose a global history research paper topic that you find particularly interesting and write an excellent world history research paper!
- Genghis Khan is an outstanding Mongol leader who can be the subject of your essay. Learn how he managed to establish the largest land empire in history while bringing together the East and the West.
- Or you can choose to write about an extraordinary woman, such as the Empress Dowager Cixi . She has been called a ruthless despot for many years, but currently, her legacy is being re-evaluated.
- An exciting period in the history of China, the fall of the Qing Dynasty , marked the end of the Chinese Empire. A study of these events could be a great essay subject.
- Alternatively, you can write about the fall of the Aztec civilization . It’s one of the most interesting world history research paper topics. Discover what led to the end of the most intricate civilization in Mesoamerica.
- Persian Gulf War is one of the most significant military operations of the past 50 years. What started as a “limited” war turned into a decades-long conflict and had severe environmental consequences, which you can discuss in your essay.
- Alternatively, you can choose the Korean War . The conflict between Soviet-backed North Korean and pro-Western South Korean countries was the first military manifestation of the Cold War . The peninsula remains divided to this day.
- Or you can write about the Russo-Japanese war . It is sometimes called World War Zero because the consequences of this conflict influenced both subsequent World Wars.
- You can also choose a significant event from the Vietnam War, such as the fall of Saigon . It marked the end of the war and the unification of Vietnam into the Socialist Republic we know today.
- The Russian Revolution lasted for ten days in the 1900s. It shook the world and led to the rise of communism. You can write about the chain of events that triggered it or discuss its long-lasting consequences.
- Samurai culture is a fascinating world history topic for those interested in Japanese history. The influence of samurai and their philosophy – bushido still manifests itself in Japanese culture.
- The political activism of Dalits in India is a great and inspiring topic. See how the activism of a minority group formerly known as “untouchables” led to drastic changes in Indian politics and mentality.
- Another topic concerning human rights activism is Nelson Mandela . The first president of South Africa and a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, he is considered to be an icon of democracy.
- Yet another outstanding person who influenced human rights activism, Mahatma Gandhi . See how his philosophy of nonviolent resistance shaped the ideas of Martin Luther King and others.
- The Great Wall of Chin a is an excellent topic for an essay. See who and why built the longest wall in the world, and learn about its legends and myths.
- Taj Mahal is one of the world’s most beautiful and majestic buildings. You can discuss the history of Mughal architecture and the Taj Mahal in particular in your essay.
Here are some other ideas of interesting world history research paper topics:
- Korea in the Middle Ages.
- History of Aztec music
- Unification of China: the “warring states” period.
- How did the Han dynasty develop its highly efficient civil service?
- India’s first empire and the rise of Buddhism.
- The revival of Persia: the period of Sassanid rule.
- What were the key reforms during the Song dynasty?
- Lost empires: Khmer, Pagan, Dai Viet.
- The Persian war and Athenian progress .
- The rise of the Ottoman Empire.
- The age of Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent .
- Why was the Tang dynasty considered China’s golden age?
- The tribes of the steppes: Scythians and Kushans.
- Antiquity: the Golden Age.
- What were the major trading centers south of Sahara?
- Palestine and the Crusades.
- Women empowerment: role of women in Chinese society .
- Constantinople: the capital of the Byzantine Empire.
- The rise and fall of Babylonia.
- Baghdad as the Islamic world in 8th-11th centuries
- The cities and civilization in the Indus Valley.
- The cultures of South America and Mesoamerica: Maya, Zapotec, and Nazca.
- What were the three kingdoms of ancient Egypt?
- How did the Islamic faith spread around the world?
- How were the islands of the South Pacific colonized?
- Bastet the Goddess and her role in Egyptian history .
- Japan’s “great peace”: the Edo period.
- Japan’s development of a unique cultural identity during the period of isolation.
- The “prosperous age” of China and the tree emperors.
- India: the jewel in the crown of the British Empire.
- What were the high and low points of the Byzantine Empire under the Palaiologan dynasty?
- The Seven Years War: the first global conflict.
- How did Europeans colonize the African continent?
- The Young Turks revolt.
- How and why were Africans sent to work in colonial plantations?
- The rise and fall of Assyrian civilization.
- The Soviet rule: collectivization, industrialization, and oppression.
- How did the former colonies in the Middle East and Southeast Asia assert their independent rule?
- The State of Israel: its foundation and effects on the Middle East.
- The foundation of the Islamic state of Iran.
- The end of the system of Apartheid.
- Tiger economy and the economic boom in Asia.
- What are the reasons behind Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Over Jerusalem?
- How did the Soviet satellite states become independent?
- The Hanging Gardens of Babylon – truth or myth?
- Delhi Sultanate: the great Islamic state in India.
- Pre-Columbian Americas: Aztecs and Incas.
- The struggle for freedom in the Spanish and Portuguese colonies.
- Opium Wars and other conflicts between Britain and China.
- Mikhail Gorbachev and the collapse of the USSR.
- Protests Theatre role in Apartheid South Africa .
- What factors led to the Yugoslav wars?
- The colonization process of New France .
- Oil crisis in the Middle East.
🏰 European History Research Topics
Europe is the cradle of modern civilization. From the Roman Empire to the Renaissance and the Industrial Revolution – the history of Europe is vibrant and colorful. The countries of Europe are very diverse, yet many leaders attempted to unify them. Discover how geography and definition of Europe changed over time!
- The philosophy of Niccolo Machiavelli is an excellent topic for history students. Discover the individual whose name inspired the term “Machiavellian.” You can also include the analysis of some “machiavellian” characters.
- Great artists of the Renaissance period is a fun history topic to research. It can be even better if you make a presentation to accompany your essay!
- Marie-Antoinette is a fascinating person. You can choose to study her public image or her role in the Revolution.
- Another topic related to the French Revolution is Maximillian Robespierre and the Terror . The Reign of Terror was a period of massacres and executions. It’s an example of what fear and paranoia can lead to.
- Or you can research the question why was Louis IV known as the Sun King? Learn how he transformed France into one of the most powerful countries in Europe. You could also discuss Versailles in your essay.
- Choose “ How did Bismarck unite Germany? ” as the topic of your essay and discuss the policies of the Iron Chancellor. See how his policies influenced both World Wars.
- Alternatively, you could write about Napoleon’s campaign in Egypt . Learn how it influenced Egyptian language studies and more!
- Bastille Day is an essential date in the history of France. Discuss how the Bastille fortress became a symbol of Liberty.
- What was the role of Joan of Arc in the Hundred Years War? is one of the best history research paper topics. Joan of Arc ‘s charisma helped her lead the French army to victory. Despite her tragic demise, she continues to be celebrated today.
- Voyages of Ferdinand Magellan can be an exciting topic for your essay. Discuss the impact of Magellan’s explorations, his background, and more!
Here are some other ideas of European history research topics:
- The policies of Cesare Borgia.
- Mercantilism in Europe
- Medici family and their impact on the Renaissance.
- What philosophical movements triggered the Renaissance?
- What were the characteristics of the Third French Republic?
- The effects of French Revolution on European peasantry .
- What was the influence of the Communist Manifesto?
- Scientific discoveries of the Renaissance period.
- Why was Galileo Galilei accused of heresy?
- What made Pope Alexander VI controversial?
- The War of 1812 .
- Torquemada: the great inquisitor.
- What was the legacy of Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabella of Castile?
- The creation of Austria-Hungary.
- Rise and fall of the Carolingian Empire.
- Great Viking leaders: Leif Erickson and Eric the Red.
- What are the characteristics of Gothic art and architecture?
- Renaissance and Ancient Greece: a comparison.
- What were the first universities in Europe?
- Why is Charlemagne considered “the father of Europe”?
- Feudalism and social hierarchy in medieval Europe.
- What were the achievements of St. Thomas Aquinas?
- Enlightenment in philosophy, politics, and art.
- What led to the emergence of Romanticism?
- Ludwig II of Bavaria: the Fairy Tale king.
- Great composers of the 18th century: Mozart, Bach, Beethoven.
- Peter the Great and Catherine II: cultural revolution of the Russian Empire.
- Legacy of the Crusades .
- How was printing invented?
- Spain under the reign of the Bourbon kings.
- How Prussia influenced the history of Germany?
- Turkish war: background and consequences.
- Why did Napoleon lose the battle of Waterloo?
💂 British History Research Topics
The history of the United Kingdom begins in 1707. However, the nations have existed on the British Isles long before that. Many invasions, wars, and revolutions have shaped Britain as we know it today. There is plenty of interesting research topics in the history of the UK. Learn about major events or study the lives of extraordinary people – the choice is yours!
- Paston family letters is a fascinating topic for a history research paper. The first-hand account of a family surviving the Plague offers a unique glimpse into the past.
- Alternatively, you can study Henry V: myth and facts . See how literary works and propaganda shaped the public’s perception of the king.
- Perhaps you would like to learn about the origins of everyday things. The King’s Posts is an interesting topic concerning the beginning of the English Mail and postage system as we know it.
- Another great topic is the marriages of King Henry VIII . Learn the fate of all six wives: from Catherine of Aragon to Catherine Parr.
- Or you can write an essay about one of Henry VIII’s wives. For example, Anne Boleyn in popular culture is an interesting topic that lets you explore the real person behind the myths.
- Princess Diana’s influence on British culture is an intriguing topic. Explore the legacy of Diana and charitable acts that made her a legend.
- What if the Gunpowder Plot didn’t fail? can be the theme of an exciting essay for college students. Study the available theories and formulate a what-if scenario.
- Highland Clearances is an important and controversial topic. See why many people were dispossessed of their land, and what is the cultural impact of the evictions.
- Another good history topic for a research paper about Scotland is Edinburg: the Athens of the North . See how Edinburg grew from a small town into one of the most important cities in Britain.
- Margaret Thatcher’s influence in 20th century Britain was immense. Still, her legacy remains controversial. Present your point of view on the Iron Lady in an essay!
Here are some other ideas of British history research paper topics:
Receive a plagiarism-free paper tailored to your instructions.
- What is the difference between the English Law before and after Henry II?
- Normans and their reforms.
- Humanities and justice in Britain during 18th century
- What tactics were used by William of Normandy during the Battle of Hastings?
- The creation of Magna Carta.
- King John and Richard I: the “good” king and the “bad” king.
- How did the Hundred Years War change England?
- Political influence of William Shakespeare in XVI century in England .
- What led the crisis of authority during the reign of Richard II?
- Marriage of Margaret Tudor and James IV: what were the long-term consequences?
- How and why did England become Protestant?
- English colonization in the 18th century .
- How did Mary I earn the nickname “Bloody Mary”?
- What was Elizabeth I’s approach to religion?
- Characteristics of the Elizabethan Era.
- What makes Oliver Cromwell a pivotal figure in the history of England?
- The public’s reaction to the execution of Charles I.
- The Great London Fire and its aftermath.
- What caused the Glorious Revolution?
- What were the tactics used by the commanders of three armies at the battle of Waterloo?
- Admiral Nelson and Battle of Trafalgar: consequences and legacy.
- Britain’s reaction to the French Revolution.
- British Empire in the East.
- How did the industrial revolution cause social reforms in Britain?
- Industrial revolution and its effects on British workers’ lives .
- British Naval supremacy during the Victorian Era.
- What caused the Potato Famine in Ireland?
- How did the Crimean War influence World War I?
- The Home Rule movement in Ireland.
- Urbanization and rural exodus in Victorian England.
- How did women’s status in Britain change after World War I?
- Winston Churchill: a politician, a soldier, a hero.
- The role of Britain in World War II.
- Britain as a member of EU.
📜 Topics in History of Ancient World (before 1500)
This section includes ideas for history research papers starting from ancient civilizations up to the pre-modern era. At that time, many cultures had their “golden age” epochs. Ancient Greece and Egypt, the Roman Empire, Mesoamerica, and the Byzantine Empire still fascinate us today. Discover for yourself some of the greatest civilizations of the past!
- Probably the most interesting subject in ancient history is Egypt. For example, you can write about the Old Kingdom of Egypt – an epoch known as the “Age of Pyramids.”
- Or you can write about the iconic personalities of ancient Egypt, such as Imhotep . He was not only an outstanding architect, but also a priest, a poet, a physician, and an astronomer!
- Science and technology of ancient Egypt is a great essay topic in itself. The inventions and scientific achievements of ancient Egyptians continue to fascinate us even today.
- Besides, their civilization was very progressive when it comes to gender roles. Write an essay about women in ancient Egypt and discover it for yourself!
- Another iconic civilization of that period is ancient Greece. You can choose to write about the beginning of Greek culture – the Mycenaean civilization and its mythology .
- Or you can discuss the Golden Age of Greece: science and philosophy in your essay. Democracy, drama, history, atomic universe theory – ancient Greece is the birthplace it all!
- Sparta and its fighters is a fascinating essay topic. Learn about the legendary Spartans, their society, and their military.
- Or perhaps you would like to learn about another great civilization, the Roman Empire. Choose several great leaders of ancient Rome (for example, Julius Caesar, Pompey the Great, and Marcus Antonius) and compare their policies.
- In an essay about Pompeii before the volcano eruption , you can discuss the daily life of ancient Romans. See what discoveries were made on the richest archaeological site in the world.
- There were also other civilizations with an exciting history in the ancient world. Hammurabi: the conqueror of Mesopotamia is an excellent topic for high school history essay. Learn about his Code that served as a blueprint for many civilizations.
- Or you can write about Phoenicians as traders . See what helped Phoenicia become one of the greatest trading powers of its time!
- You could even write an essay about the production and trading of chocolate in Mesoamerica ! Chocolate was immensely popular across the Americas. It was often enjoyed as a drink and even used as a form of currency.
- Tartessos and its culture is a fascinating history essay topic. Discover the place that gave rise to the legend of El Dorado.
- You could also write about the Akkadian Empire during the reign of Sargon the Great . Sargon came from a humble background. Learn how he rose to power and created the first multinational empire in history.
- Women rulers of the ancient world can be the topic of an excellent essay. Hatshepsut, Cleopatra, Semiramis – these outstanding women changed history and became legendary.
Here are some other ideas of history research paper topics before 1500:
- Ancient Rome: economy and trade.
- The murder of Caligula: what were the circumstances?
- Who were the five “Good Emperors” of Rome?
- What was the role of trade contacts in Greek colonization?
- Women in ancient Greek society .
- Ancient explorers: Hanno, Polybius, and others.
- The fall of Jerusalem and its consequences.
- Antiquity: the Golden Age .
- Akhenaten and the Amarna Period.
- How did Amenhotep IV reform Egyptian religion?
- Wari civilization and their art.
- The Lost City of Atlantis .
- Vandals and the fall of Rome.
- Battle of AlQadisiyyah
- How and where did the Vikings travel?
- What were the main attributes of ancient Chinese philosophy?
- What was the importance of the Olympic Games?
- First Punic war: causes and consequences.
- The foundation of the Caliphate .
- The destruction and re-development of Carthage.
- Achaemenid Empire under the reign of Cyrus II.
- The Arab conquest of Egypt.
- Cambodia: the Angkor period.
- How did Harold I unify Norway?
- Rurik and the founding of Russia.
- How did Boleslav I turn Poland into one of the most powerful nations at the time?
- What was the origin of Christianity?
- Alexius I and the First Crusade.
- Who was Leonidas I of Sparta?
- The amazing life of Telemachus
- The rise and fall of Gauda Kingdom.
- What was the role of Corinth in the ancient world?
- The Koryo Dynasty and the unification of Korea.
- Why did the Second Crusade end in a disaster?
- Valdemar II: the expansion of the Danish Empire.
- What were the possible causes of the Bronze Age Collapse?
- Korea: the Three Kingdoms period.
- Confucius and his philosophy.
- The Umayyad-Hashemite civil war and the birth of the Sunni-Shiite islamic schism .
- What did Alexander the Great do for the popularization of Greek culture?
- The architecture of Toltec civilization.
- What is “the great migration”?
- What was the usage of Circus Maximus?
- Ptolemaic dynasty: Greek monarchs in Egypt.
- Sumerian religion and mythology.
- The early history of Franks.
- The Hatti and their culture.
- Why is Justinian I considered one of the greatest Byzantine emperors?
- The Lombard kingdom under the reign of Alboin.
- How did the Roman Republic become the Roman Empire?
- Rome from 140 BCE to the reign of Octavian
- Octavian: the first and greatest Roman emperor.
- Etruscan society, religion, and art.
🏭 Topics in History of Modern World
From the late medieval period up to the 19th century – modern history covers a period of intense development and industrialization. Old civilization fell, and new ones replaced them. Almost every major country faced a revolution, and the standard of living around the world started to grow rapidly. There are many good history topics to research – choose one for yourself!
- How the Aztec military compared to the Spanish army? is an interesting essay question that can help you in better understanding Mesoamerican culture. Aztecs had a complex military structure and tactics specific only to them.
- Witch hunts in England and America is an interesting essay topic. You can also include your opinions on why witches were usually women.
- Discussion of positive and negative outcomes of the Columbian Exchange can be a basis for an excellent essay.
- Re-evaluation or Greek and Roman texts by Humanist authors is a topic concerned with philosophy and art. You can include an analysis of authors such as Petrarch and Machiavelli and discuss the influence if classical texts in their works.
- Or you can focus on the daily lives of people from the past. Food and diet during the Industrial Revolution can be an interesting health topic. (This includes changes in people’s health.)
- You can choose to write about the Golden age of piracy and learn the truth about one of the most romanticized periods in the history of early modern Europe.
- Or choose life in the Wild West as the topic of your history essay and see if the popular perception of the era is accurate.
- Thomas More’s Utopia and its legacy is an interesting topic for history research paper. Learn about the origins of Utopia and how it influenced the Communism in the 20th century.
- The Great Famine was a turning point in Irish history. Study the aftermath of the Great Famine and see how it influenced rebel movements in Ireland.
- Alternatively, you can write about extraordinary people from the modern era. For example, the childhood of Elizabeth I includes the education and upbringing of the future Queen, as well as the development of her qualities as the nation’s leader.
- Lucrezia Borgia is a prominent historical figure whose legacy is now being reevaluated. You can explore popular myths about Lucrezia Borgia and see if they have any factual basis.
- You can focus your research on great explorers, such as David Livingstone: a missionary in Africa . He greatly influenced the popular perception of Africa in positive as well as negative ways.
- Another good topic for a history research paper is the social impact of the Little Ice Age . Learn how emerging cultures survived in a colder climate, and what psychological effects the Little Ice Age had on people.
- The Dutch East India Company is an interesting example of an early corporation. See how it pioneered business practices that we still use today. It’s a good topic for International Studies students.
- Russia in the 17th century was a multiconfessional and multiethnic country. You can write about the exploration of Siberia and other ways by which Russia was expanding its territory.
Here are some other ideas of modern world history research paper topics:
- The history of London Underground.
- What factors brought about the Age of Enlightenment?
- Mona Lisa and Renaissance humanism
- Muhammad Ali of Egypt and his modernizing reforms.
- Nationalism in 18th century Europe
- The French in Vietnam: reasons and aftermath of the conquest.
- Key features of the Commercial Revolution.
- History: the decline of Rome in the 3rd century
- How did the spice trade shape the modern world?
- The impacts of war on social development in Europe between 1500 and 1815 .
- Technology that influenced the Age of Exploration.
- The impacts of peinted press on European society .
- Isolation policies of Ming Dynasty: causes and consequences.
- What’s the difference between shogunates and the “Tokugawa period” in Japan?
- Culture and science in the Mughal Empire.
- Patriots: The rebellions in Lower Canada 1837-38
- The use of elephantry during the battle of Plassey.
- What caused the Protestant Reformation?
- The role of gunpowder in wars during the modern period.
- Inquisition and censorship.
- The role of indulgences in religious life during the Middle Ages.
- Abolition of slavery in the US.
- Characteristics of serfdom in Russia.
- Ivan the Terrible: the first Tsar of Russia.
- What were the reasons behind Alexander II’s assassination?
- Frankfurt Parliament and the concept of Germania.
- What led to the decline of Spain in the 17th century?
- What caused the economic and social decline of Venice?
- What was the role of merchants in Europe’s development?
- The Paris Commune: the world’s first socialist government.
- The reforms of Maria Theresa.
- The assassination of Abraham Lincoln.
- What caused the Russian peasant uprising of 1773?
- How did Martin Luther influence the Great Peasant Revolt of 1525?
- How did Darwin’s theory of evolution affect society?
- How was the Spanish Armada defeated?
- The fall of the Habsburg dynasty.
- Cromwell and the Puritan Revolution.
- The consequences of the serfdom abolition in Russia.
- Russian anarchism and its legacy.
- Absolute monarchy in Germany and its decline.
📡 Historical Topics on the 20 th Century
The last century of the second millennium saw many drastic changes. They directly influenced our contemporary world. On the one hand, there were the World Wars, revolutions, pandemics, and nuclear disasters. On the other hand, we had new technology, human rights activism, and a high standard of living. Choose the best 20th century research topic for your essay!
Just 13.00 10.40/page , and you can get an custom-written academic paper according to your instructions
- During the Gandhi-led revolt against British rule , the police attacked the unarmed crowd. See how Mahatma Gandhi and his followers managed to emerge victoriously.
- Stalin’s collectivization policy was aimed at increasing of the food supply. It turned out to be a disaster that severely damaged Soviet agriculture. Discuss why it happened in your essay.
- The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand was the event that triggered World War I. You can write about the reasons and the consequences of the murder in your essay.
- Similarly, the assassination of King Carlos of Portugal was carried out in hopes of provoking a revolution. See why it didn’t work out as planned.
- World War I was a devastating conflict that forever changed Europe. Its course was strongly influenced by the first battle of Marne . Write an essay about how it stopped the advance of Germany.
- Or you can choose another battle, such as the Second battle of Ypres , during which poison gas was used for the first time.
- One of the best 20th century European history research paper topics is the Troubles in Northern Ireland . Learn about the reasons behind these conflicts. (You can include the definition of IRA and “low-level war.”)
- History department students can write a great essay on the aftermath of Pearl Harbor . Initially, Japan considered the attack a successful move. In reality, it doomed them to defeat.
- Juan Peron and Evita is a very interesting topic. See how Evita helped her husband become immensely popular, and discuss the influence of Peronism.
- Communism propaganda is another fascinating topic. The promotion of communist ideology was carried out in many forms. Discuss its influence on society. Use a presentation to illustrate your points.
- Instead, you could write about anti-communist propaganda . Discuss where it comes from and its effects on Western society.
- Another topic closely connected with the Cold War is the contacts between USSR and the USA after 1945 . Study the events when the leaders of the two countries visited each other. Describe how the relations changed over time.
- The Cuban missile crisis was an event that almost triggered a nuclear war. Write an essay about it and learn how the conflict was resolved.
- The most notable atomic bomb explosion is an important topic connected with the current issues. Trinity test, Operation Crossroads, and Japan explosions changed the world forever . Discuss if it’s possible to justify these events.
- A closely connected topic is the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl . Learn about the factors that led to the tragedy, and discuss its long-term consequences.
Here are some other ideas of 20th century research topics:
- How did the union between Norway and Sweden end?
- The Senkaku islands territorial disputes .
- What were the consequences of Fidel Castro signing a friendship treaty with the USSR?
- The policies of Nikita Khrushchev.
- The art of the Weimar Republic.
- The “watershed” history moments between 1960 and 1990 .
- History of postmodernism.
- What were the consequences of Germany’s invasion of Belgium?
- The Velvet Revolution and the aftermath of Communism.
- Why are the Nuremberg Trials considered to be the greatest trials in history?
- Che Guevara’s biography and revolutionary path .
- The legacy of Che Guevara.
- History of post WWII .
- India’s nuclear weapons program.
- How did the US react to the launch of Sputnik?
- Cuban missile crisis and its aftermath.
- The Arab defeat reasons in the 1967 War
- What were the ambitions of the Nazi party during World War II?
- Zionism and anti-Semitism in Nazi Germany .
- Nazi propaganda in cinematography .
- How was the European Union formed?
- Invasion of Poland: the beginning of World War II.
- Social and economic Life in the Soviet Union during the 1930s .
- How did the dissatisfaction with the Treaty of Versailles impact Mussolini’s rise to power?
- What’s the difference between the Red and White Russian Army?
- Concentration camps and “Death Camps”: a comparison.
- What caused the Beer Hall Putsch?
- U.S atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki .
- What factors helped spread Communist ideology across the world?
- Night of the Long Knives and Hitler ‘s rise to power.
- Mao Zedong and Maoism.
- What events led to the Kashmir Crisis?
- Fall of the Berlin wall: what was the immediate effect?
- Kosovo war and propaganda.
- South Pole expeditions: Roald Amundsen.
- The invention of the PC and the Internet.
- What was the role of Lawrence of Arabia in the Arab Revolt?
- Francois Mitterrand: legacy and controversies.
- What was the political atmosphere during the 1936 Olympic Games?
- What factors led to the Communist victory in China?
- The consequences of civil war in El Salvador.
- 1968 student revolts.
- Kristallnacht and the world’s response to it.
- What is the difference between Fascism and National Socialism?
🔝 20 History Research Questions
Research questions are derived from research topics. You answer the research question in an essay or paper.
Broad questions can be used for theses, Ph.D. dissertations, and proposals. Narrow questions fit better for essays. You can also use them to prepare for AP US essays. Research questions can be focused on different aspects:
- What caused a historical event,
- The consequences of an event,
- The origin of something,
- The role of a particular person in history,
- The cultural context of an event, etc.
Here is the list of top 20 history research questions for you to choose from:
- What was the role of Alexander the Great in the creation of the modern world?
- What was the importance of Roman Peace?
- What impact has Christianity had on Western culture?
- How did the Plague influence European society?
- How was Constantinople conquered?
- In what ways did the Renaissance improve life in Europe?
- Why is the Printing Press considered one of the greatest inventions?
- What were the positive and negative sides of the Protestant Reformation?
- Why did Europe eventually lose control over its colonies?
- In what ways did the American Revolution inspire other countries ?
- How did the French Revolution influence the Enlightenment?
- What would have happened in the North lost the Civil War ?
- What challenges did the Industrial Revolution provide for lower classes?
- How did the Medical Revolution change the world?
- What aspects of the industrial Revolution triggered World War I?
- What factors led to the popularity of Communism in Russia?
- How did the Great Depression influence World War II?
- Why was Adolf Hitler’s Nazi Party popular in 1930s Germany?
- What is the Iron Curtain, and why was it created?
- In what ways did Space Race advance technology?
🤔 Historical Topics FAQ
The importance of history can’t be underestimated. It plays a crucial in understanding other cultures as well as our own. It teaches us to think, compare, and draw conclusions. It provides us with role models and examples of how to manage societies. Besides, it covers every single facet of life, from art and television to sports and video games. That’s why history is not only important but also relatable and fun.
- Choose a topic that will be interesting for you to research.
- Decide on a solid historical argument.
- Formulate a thesis statement.
- Find reliable sources and study them from a critical standpoint.
- Make an outline for your paper.
- Write the first draft.
- When you quote, cite your sources correctly.
- Proofread and write the final draft.
- Find reliable resources and analyze them.
- Describe the imagery of the artwork
- Provide a brief analysis of imagery or symbolism.
- Describe the stylistic category to which the artwork belongs.
- Write about the time in which the artwork was created.
- Discuss how it relates to the author’s life.
- Discuss the place of the artwork in a broader historical context.
- Choose your subject.
- Formulate your thesis statement.
- Find credible sources, biographies, and articles.
- Write a draft plan.
- Describe the formative years of the historical person.
- Discuss their most important achievements that relate to your thesis statement.
- Include particularly interesting lesser-known facts about them.
- Describe their legacy and impact.
- Write a conclusion.
- Proofread your paper.
Primary sources relate directly to the subject of the study. This includes art, literature, and documents from that period. Primary sources are created at the time of the event, usually by people who participated in the event. The best examples of primary source documents would be diaries, interviews, and letters.
Secondary sources are the sources created after the time of the event. They are usually scientific, written from a historical point of view, and include evaluation of the information derived from the primary sources. The best examples of secondary source documents would include academic analyses, research papers, reviews, critiques, scientific journals, biographies, and encyclopedias.
You might also be interested in:
- 280 Good Nursing Research Topics & Questions
- 226 Research Topics on Criminal Justice & Criminology
- 204 Research Topics on Technology & Computer Science
- 178 Best Research Titles about Cookery & Food
- 180 Best Education Research Topics & Ideas
- 110+ Micro- & Macroeconomics Research Topics
- 417 Business Research Topics for ABM Students
- 190+ Research Topics on Psychology & Communication
- 512 Research Topics on HumSS
- 281 Best Health & Medical Research Topics
- 501 Research Questions & Titles about Science
- A List of Research Topics for Students. Unique and Interesting
- Good Research Topics, Titles and Ideas for Your Paper
- Databases for Research & Education: Gale
- Topics: History
- Historical Research Capabilities: UCLA History
- British History: BBC
- 25 Most Important Events In History: List 25
- How to Write a History Research Paper: Carleton
- Historic Places and the Inquiry Method: National Park Service
- Historical narrative: Britannica
- Historical Research: Oxford Academic
- Introduction to Historical Research: UW Libraries
- Tools and techniques for historical research: University of Cambridge
- Historical Research – Checklist: History Detectives
- Studies in History: SAGE Journals
- History Research: Science PG
- History: Academia
- Databases for History & Culture Research: Smithsonian Libraries
- Writing a Good History Paper: Hamilton
- Research: Cornell, the Department of History
- History Research Areas: McGill
- Research Areas: History Department, Vanderbilt University
- Areas od Study: Department of History and Philosophy of Science and Medicine, Indiana University Bloomington
- U.S. History and Historical Documents: US Government
- Colonial North America: Harvard Library
- United States of America: Topics (Colorado State University)
- European History: ThoughtCo.
- The history of the European Union: EU Official Website
- The history of British slave ownership has been buried: now its scale can be revealed (The Guardian)
- Women Creating Change (Before 1500): Albany
- The 20th century: Khan Academy
- Timeline of 20th and 21th century wars: Imperial War Museum
- Share to Facebook
- Share to Twitter
- Share to LinkedIn
- Share to email
Recommended for You
224 Research Topics on Technology & Computer Science
Are you new to the world of technology? Do you need topics related to technology to write about? No worries, Custom-writing.org experts are here to help! In this article, we offer you a multitude of creative and interesting technology topics from various research areas, including information technology and computer science....
256 Research Topics on Criminal Justice & Criminology
Are you a law school student studying criminal behavior or forensic science? Or maybe just looking for good criminal justice topics, questions, and hypotheses? Look no further! Custom-writing.org experts offer a load of criminology research topics and titles for every occasion. Criminological theories, types of crime, the role of media...
150 Argumentative Research Paper Topics [2023 Upd.]
Argumentative research paper topics are a lot easier to find than to come up with. We always try to make your life easier. That’s why you should feel free to check out this list of the hottest and most controversial argumentative essay topics for 2023. In the article prepared by...
A List of 580 Interesting Research Topics [2023 Edition]
In school and college, you will be required to write research papers. Yes — papers in the plural. And that’s the first reason you may want to turn to Custom Writing and seek help with research projects. When assigned a paper, the very first undertaking is to choose from a...
147 Social Studies Topics for Your Research Project
Social studies is an integrated research field. It includes a range of topics on social science and humanities, such as history, culture, geography, sociology, education, etc. A social studies essay might be assigned to any middle school, high school, or college student. It might seem like a daunting task, but...
Top 100 Research Topics & Titles about Food & TVL
When you look for a good research paper topic, you can easily become the severest critic of any proposed idea. Some topics do not interest you at the very least, while others might shock your teachers. Where is the golden mean? Check out this list of top 100 research paper...
455 Interesting History Research Topics You Might Consider
Table of Contents
What are History Research Topics?
Just like any other college student of the United States, perhaps, you might also find history assignments tough and challenging. Possibly, constant brainstorming of extensive subjects and exploring lengthy books might add to the reason of making the subject uninteresting. Also, unique and interesting history research topics might give another important reason for students to fail writing history research assignments. However, if the students choose their topics correctly, then the history research topics selected might influence its author automatically.
Furthermore, the topic will appear interesting for the target audience, and the chance of scoring good marks might also increase when students get online research or history dissertation help . Besides, your history research paper might explore both primary and secondary sources of a particular period. Subsequently, your key task might involve an argumentative thesis statement development for your paper and research comprehensively.
How to Use History Research Topics?
Specifically, you might face challenges in choosing your research path as you might want to highlight your research skills and knowledge.
- Firstly, a subject might interest you because the readers will enjoy responding to the writer’s feelings.
- Secondly, you might also want to choose a narrow topic, for instant, it’s not advisable to select Ancient Rome in general. Instead, you might choose an emperor from that period and discuss its educational, economic, and religious aspects.
- Thirdly, you might hold a comparison between the social and political systems of various countries. Also, you might consider describing a battle precisely and concisely.
How to Write History Research Topics?
Accordingly, you might want to ensure that you have an access to authentic sources for writing your paper . Also, to evaluate your source’s effectiveness, you might even consult your professor to prevent any major mistakes in your paper. Besides, your professor might create a literature list or offer assistance for modifying your paper. Furthermore, a library is another good informational source, however, if you choose the internet, ensure your source is trustworthy. Alternatively, if you choose movies or books, it might not serve as a good source, because it is mostly fictitious.
We also provide speedy Ireland assignment help service to the students who have a shortage of time in submitting their assignments. Our assignment experts ensure that the students achieve the best grade.
List Of History Research Topics
Simple history research topics.
- Life of the peasants in Medieval Europe.
- Western world and the social stratification.
- World War I and World War II- A comparative analysis.
- The Byzantine Empire Development.
- Japan and China- Recent historical developments.
- Jamaican history and violent events.
- South Africa apartheid.
- Significant events- Ottoman Empire.
- Impact of nuclear weapons on the world military clashes.
- Japanese history and the role of Shogun.
- Women’s Rights Movement- Key achievements in the past century.
- Lessons from the World Wars- Review.
- Ancient conquests and their impact on modern world map development.
- Common impacts of Roman, Egyptian, and Greek cultures.
- Salem Witch Trials.
Basic History Research Topics
- Pearl Harbor.
- Women’s suffrage revolution.
- Abolitionist movement.
- American Indian Movement.
- History of Mughal Empire
- The Rise and Fall of Mongol Empire
- American Civil War
- The French Revolution (1789 – 1799)
- The Russian Revolution (1917)
- The Haitian Revolution (1791 – 1804)
- Sumerian Culture and Traditions.
- Intellectuals in the Middle Ages
- The Middle Ages is the period of discovery. Why?
- How did the New Deal bring America out of the Depression?
- Religion in Ancient Greece.
World History Research Topics
- Causes of the American Revolution.
- American Neutrality in World War Ⅰ
- Effects of the Allies’ Occupation of Germany.
- Ronald Reagan and the End of the Cold War.
- Political, Economic, and Social Causes of the French Revolution.
- European colonization and its impact on the Native Americans.
- Mexican war- Causes and consequences.
- Earthquake and fire- San Francisco.
- The westward expansion of transcontinental railroads.
- Settlement house movement.
- Kent State shooting.
- Critically review the Baby Boomers- (1950 to 2021).
- George Custer, Buffalo Bill, and Wyatt Earp- Reality in the West versus the Legends.
- Imperialism in the 19 th and 20 th century- Justification.
Research Topics on World History
- African American soldier’s discrimination in the Union army.
- Role of Colonial American women in the revolution- Discuss the republican mother.
- Martin Luther King Jr. – Assassination.
- Sacco- Vanzetti case.
- Harpers Ferry- John Brown’s raid.
- Conflicts, strikes, and labor unions in the 18 th
- Federalists versus anti-federalists- Critically analyze.
- The history of Chinese Communist Revolution
- The 20 th Century – The Bloodiest Ear of American History
- Gutenberg’s Press and its importance
- Battle at sea and in the air during WWI: Comparison
- Japanese – American Internment during WWII
- Truman’s Moral Courage and Political Risks in American History
- The Roosevelt administration and the events of the Holocaust
- Explore the factors that explain the Renaissance.
Constructive History Research Topics
- Age of discovery and the events that led the Europeans to start this age.
- American Revolution: Revolutionary War between 1775 and 1783
- Discuss the influence of ancient conquests on the formation of the modern world map
- After-effects of the women’s rights movement in July 1848
- Civil war and the New York draft riots.
- California’s gold rush movement.
- Containment policy- Truman.
- American society development- Role of the Mormons.
- Democratic Convention in Chicago- 1968.
- The D-Day invasion.
- The Underground Railroad.
- 9/11 attacks- Review.
- U-2 incident.
- Job and Freedom of 1963- March on Washington.
- Black Sox Scandal- Review.
- The Cuban missile incident.
- Critical analysis of the Apartheid Impact on the South African countries and aftermath of apartheid
- Discuss the effect of American Neutrality in WorldWar I till 1917 on the country’s geopolitical relationships with the Central Powers
- Explain the process of abolition of slavery and its meaning for the world
- Analyse the arguments made by David Birmingham in his book titled “The Decolonization of Africa”
Amazing History Research Topics
- Galveston hurricane.
- The Whiskey Rebellion in 1794.
- Battle of Midway.
- Manhattan Project.
- Great Society- Lyndon Johnson.
- People’s move to the West, despite the risks- Explain the Oregon Trail.
- Spanish American War and Yellow journalism.
- The Great Chicago Fire of 1871.
- Civil war and the North-South confrontation- Causes.
- Nat Turner’s rebellion.
- The Industrialization in Britain and France 1750 -1870
- History of Great Depression
- The necessity of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- Industrialization effects on social movements in the USA
- Theories- The colony of Roanoke disappearance.
Good Scoring History Research Topics
- Limitations of the Articles of Confederation- Role of the constitution in its elimination.
- Impact of the Dawes Act on the Native American and United States policy.
- Courtly love.
- Black Death- Black plague.
- The renaissance period- Analyze the life of a woman.
- Medieval philosophy.
- Medieval warfare.
- Islamic Empire.
- Hundred-year war.
- Justinian I- Byzantine Empire.
- Life of a woman in the medieval age.
- Medieval Universities.
Some History Research Paper Topics for Students
- Medieval Laws.
- Papal Monarchy.
- Crimean war.
- 18 th century Europe.
- Industrial revolution.
- Napoleonic war.
- Outstanding inventions of Christopher Columbus.
- The Medicis dynasty.
- Analyzing Vienna’s Congress.
- Revolution of 1948.
- Age of Reason.
- 30 Years War (1618-1648).
- War propaganda.
- The key World War 1 battles and their causes.
Good – Quality History Research Topics
- Discuss the Watergate Scandal
- War between Russia and Ukraine
- Discuss briefly about the Indo-China War 1967
- The Manchu Conquest of China
- Anglo-Zanzibar War
- What was the longest war fought by America?
- Fall of the United States in Vietnam
- Research and knowledge in art and design
- Representing freedom with art during the Civil War in the United States
- Lawrence of Arabia- Discuss.
- Treaty of Versailles.
- Diplomatic history- World War I.
- Gallipoli Campaign.
- Nazi Germany.
- Causes of World War II.
Trending History Research Topics
- Allied occupation in Japan.
- Holocaust survivor.
- Holocaust and the children.
- Hibakusha- Atomic bomb survivor.
- World War II- Eastern front.
- Joseph Goebbels propaganda.
- Nuremberg trials.
- World War II- Home front.
- Katyn Forest Massacre.
- Atlantic Wall.
- Letters and diaries of World War II.
- Battle of Britain.
- The largest concentration campaign.
- Battle of Bulge.
Read also: Best World History Topics for Dissertations you Might Consider
Exemplary History Research Topics
- Hitler and his appeasement.
- Diplomatic history of World War II.
- Greek theater evolution.
- Mesopotamian Art.
- Greek canons and Egyptian of proportion.
- Influence of ancient Greek sculpture on modern art.
- Scythian adornments of gold.
- Buddhist art.
- Comparative study between Buddhist and Tibetan art.
- US religion and ideology from the global perspective
- Political ideology in American society
- History of Identity Politics
- The Great Wall of China.
- Traditional costumes of China and Japan.
- Cambodian art- Religious motifs.
Modern Research Topics for History
- Indian art and the Islamic ascendancy.
- Indian art and the impact of Hinduism.
- Women’s clothing- Renaissance period.
- Literature of the medieval period.
- Medieval period’s drama.
- Renaissance Italy and domestic art introduction.
- Music in the medieval period.
- Gothic architecture.
- Raphael’s painting.
- Cameo appearance- Explain.
- Romantic literature- Medieval period.
- Medieval theater history.
- Renaissance literature.
- Christian symbols and Renaissance art.
- Italian painting- Birth and infancy of Christ.
Complete List of History Research Paper Topics for Exam
- Islamic states and Venice- Diplomacy, religion, and business exchange.
- Armor and arms in Renaissance Europe.
- Ceramics in French Renaissance.
- Bernard Palissy – The Prophet of Modern Ceramic Art
- French Renaissance and Ceramics.
- Flemish and Dutch artists in Rome- 1500-1600.
- Renaissance and the bronze sculptures.
- European paintings and Botanical images.
- Revolution of Global Entertainment Industry
- Modern dress versus classical art.
- Neoclassical sculptures.
- Edgar Degas and the dancing paintings.
- Paul Gauguin and the savage art.
- Decorative art and exoticism.
- Neo-impressionism and Georges Seurat.
Unique History Research Topics
- Lithography in the 19 th
- Baroque and Rococo- A comparative analysis.
- Jackson Pollock’s art.
- Harlem Renaissance.
- Political cartoons and Thomas Nast.
- Kinetic art.
- Development of Pablo Picasso’s painting.
- Painting symbols and Frida Kahlo.
- Dau-al –Set movement.
- Baroque architecture.
- Louis David- Legacy of Jacques.
- French photography and industrialization after 1860.
- Marquis de Sade’s novel.
- Gestapo- Exploring the atrocities.
Exclusive History Research Topics
- Rothschild dynasty.
- Medieval- Economic history.
- Madison versus Marbury case- Impact on the judicial system.
- Julius Rosenburg and Ethel- Describe them as a spy.
- Ancient Greece power versus ancient Rome.
- Elaborate on Ancient Rome’s police.
- What is considered the Eighth Wonder of the world?
- Taj Mahal – The Seventh Wonder of the world
- Civilian life in Ancient Rome.
- Alexander the Great was the best leader in the world.
- Ancient Rome and the Gladiatorial games.
- Potent military in ancient history.
- Protests and demonstrations in ancient times.
- Rome, Greece, and Egypt- Compare their ancient history.
- Ancient Greece and the voting system- Myth versus the facts.
History Research Topics for the Professionals
- Middle Ages and the interfaith marriages.
- Medieval Europe and the city development.
- Significance of Quran in the Medieval Europe.
- Middle Ages and the intellectual life.
- Popular crimes in the Middle Age.
- The Middle Ages as a discovery period- Review.
- Rise of the great monarchies.
- The decline of feudalism.
- Maritime discoveries.
- Advancement of civilization.
- England under the Stuarts.
- Rise of the Dutch republic.
- Significant people of the 16 th
- The History and Architecture of the Great Pyramid of Giza
- Fall of Rome
Popular History Research Topics
- Queens and Kings of Britain.
- Muslims in Europe.
- Seven Years War.
- Political engagement of Muslims in Europe.
- Europe and the Islamic challenges.
- Early Modern Europe.
- Europe and its 18 th -century politics.
- The rise of the Eastern powers.
- Economic history of Europe.
- United States election history.
- US Navy and its brief history.
- Hot war and the cold war Review.
- WWI in America- Analyze its terror trophies.
- United States history- People of the 17 th
- US democracy and its peculiarity.
Outstanding History Research Topics
- Schooner Nancy in the 1812 war.
- Role of the New Deal- Pulling America out of the Depression.
- The Townshend Act.
- War letters and the American revolutionary.
- Federalist Era in the United States.
- Lives of the Americans during the revolution.
- Colonial newspapers and their problems.
- History of Mesopotamia
- Development of Egyptian civilization
- American Revolution and the social conflicts.
- International impact of the American Revolution.
- Battle of Gettysburg.
- European Civil War.
- Appomattox Campaign.
- Battle of Antietam.
Top-Notch History Research Topics
- Battle of Fredericksburg.
- Spotsylvania Court House battle.
- Reasons and impact of the World War I and II
- WWI and its human cost.
- Sarajevo and his assassination in WWI.
- WWI and Entangling Alliances.
- Holocaust victims of WWI.
- Africa and the WWII.
- Holocaust and the church.
- How Germany resisted Hitler in WWII.
History Research Topics on the Cold War
- WWII and its diplomacy.
- Enlist the countries involved in the Cold War.
- The Cold War –Reasons and Lessons
- Policies and positions of America and Canada during the Cold War
- Global order of the Cold War.
- Cold War as a period of fear- Do you agree?
- Impact of the Cold War on popular culture.
- United Nation’s role in the Cold War.
- The reducing influence of Europe during the Cold War.
- The Cold War and McCarthy Era
Miscellaneous History Research Topics
- US Catholic president and his making.
- Franklin Roosevelt and his companion.
- The Mixed Legacies of Ronald Reagan.
- Political risks and moral courage in American History- Truman’s perspective.
- 20 th and 21 st century- American History.
- Social Revolutions in America.
- Europeans versus the Native Americans.
- Regulating the New Nation.
- Industrialists and the inventors of the conventional world.
- The American Nation and the cost of industrialization.
History Research Paper Topics for College Students
- Great American West and its adjustment.
- Immigrants of the 21 st century- State the US policies.
- Impact of industrialization on the social revolution of the USA.
- Art history versus Art Studio?
- History and Religion- Analyze the art philosophy.
- Art history- A critical introduction.
- US art history versus politics.
- Author Frank Stella and modern artists- Life analysis.
- The Cuban Missile Crisis 1962
- History behind Olympic games
Read more: 100 Best Art History Thesis Topics for Students and Professionals
- Persian Art and Culture
- Art history and semiotics.
- Alois Riegl’s theory and its history.
- Art and Design- Research and knowledge.
- Formal religion of America- Ideology.
- Religious communication and American politics- Discuss the history.
- American society and the political ideology.
- Identity politics and its history.
- Politics and religion of America- How to segregate both successfully?
- America and its new religion.
History Research Topics for University Students
- Analyzing US politics and ideology from an international perspective.
- Explore the most dominant US ideology.
- Immigration in America- Discuss its history.
- Evaluate the historic trends of immigration to America.
- American immigration- State the argument.
- Immigration trends over the years- Evaluate.
- History, trends, and facts of Immigration to the USA.
- American country and immigration before 1965.
- Historical overview of immigration policy.
- US immigration- Discuss the timeline.
Unavoidable History Research Topics
- Egyptian art and culture
- History of the United States
- Immigration reforms in the USA- Analyze the history.
- Soviet zone during the WWI- Treatment of Women.
- The decline of the Nazis and Hitler- Analyze the situation of Germany.
- Spanish Inquisition and moral justification.
- The Six Days War- A preemptive strike or an aggressive act?
- Did the Native Americans resist assimilation? True or False.
- The decline of Constantinople- Is it the saddest moment in the history of mankind?
- British press freedom in the 19 th
- Niccolo Machiavelli- Father of political science. True or False?
- Nationalism was a significant problem of the 20 th
- Asian Soviet Union countries and their history.
- Excellent presidential speeches of the 20 th
- Balkan war and its impact on the European map.
Mixed-Bag History Topics
- Causes and evidence of abolishing slavery in the USA.
- Background and cause of Rwandan genocide.
- United States revolutionary leaders.
- Impact of British rule in India.
- Adolf Hitler- Rise to power.
- Rise and fall of the Roman Empire- Causes and evidence.
- Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans- Government’s response.
- Cleopatra’s decline in Egypt- Analyze its causes.
- Figures and facts of the Iran-Contra Scandal.
- Evolution and changes in Japan over the years.
- Afghanistan and the US’s involvement.
- Great Recession.
- Immortality and Death in Ancient Egypt.
- Patriot Act- Review and Evaluate.
- Prehistoric Britain and the role of woman.
History Research Topics for the Experts
- History of Palestine.
- Reasons for social inequality.
- Causes of Syrian Conflict.
- Key figures of Atlanta Campaign.
- Aftershocks of the Cold War.
- Ancient Rome and the bridal ceremonies.
- Spain and Britain’s war of the sea.
- Mary Chestnut’s personality.
- Crusades and religions.
- Mexican-American War.
- Homestead Act.
- Facts and controversies of the Civil War.
- Medieval Europe and social relationships.
- Europe literacy in the 19 th
- The Berlin Airlift and Berlin Wall
Sophisticated History Research Topics
- Arnhem battle.
- Attu Battle.
- Black Code.
- Civil Rights Movement of 1964.
- Origin of the Black History Month.
- Bunker Hill Battle.
- RFK Speech.
- Anne Frank’s diary.
- Cultural traits and the Black History legends.
- Exploring the Interwar period.
- Independence Declaration 1776.
- Saratoga Battle.
- Long Island Battle.
- Camden Battle.
- Princeton battles and the Trenton.
- Benedict Arnold.
- Boston tea party.
- Dictatorship and its causes.
- Cause and effects of the Nuclear Age.
- Prophet Muhammad and Hadith
- Seleucid-Mauryan War
- Comparative analysis of the Gallipoli Campaign and Trojan War
- Uprising democratic movement.
- Impact of Chicano movement.
- Veterans Day history.
- American Imperialism- Role of McKinley.
- Organized crime- American society 1920.
- Causes of economic depression.
- Charles Cornwallis.
History Research Topics List for Assignments
- South America and its religious practices.
- Black Codes.
- Role of the Civilians in strategic battles.
- Battle of Kursk- Strategy.
- Mid- Tudor Crisis- Analysis.
- Gender bias in England- 19 th
- Rise of Empiricism in Europe.
- Cause and Effect- History before 1877.
- Alabama Claims and its causes.
- Syrian conflict and its causes.
- Central Anatolia- Water Sources Value.
- Sumerian culture and its customs.
- Analyzing the Near Eastern Civilizations.
New History Research Paper Topics for Academics
- Role of a woman in prehistoric Britain.
- History of mathematics in India
- History of medicine and surgery in India
- History of poetry
- Ancient Medical Treatments in Greece
- History of Soviet Union
- Comparison between Hindu art and literature and Islamic art and literature
- Comparison between ancient architecture in India and Rome
- The pandemic of plague (6th century – 8th century)
- 1918 Flu (1918-1920)
- Environmental Effects Of The Industrial Revolution.
- Why The Cotton Gin’s Development Was Important For The Industrial Revolution
- Before and during the Industrial Revolution, iron was produced.
- The Effects Of The Industrial Revolution On The Working Class, Both Positive And Negative.
- Comparing the American and European industrial revolutions
History research topics for University:
- During the Industrial Revolution, there was child labor.
- An overview of the factories’ working conditions during the Industrial Revolution.
- Public Education And The Impact Of The Industrial Revolution
- Political Risks in American History and Truman’s Moral Courage
- A Franklin Roosevelt Companion
- The truth of George Custer, Buffalo Bill, and Wyatt Earp in contrast to the legends.
- Justification for imperialism in the 19th and 20th centuries.
- The role of the constitution in eliminating the limitations of the Articles of Confederation
- The Dawes Act’s effects on American and Native American policies
- Compare the histories of Rome, Greece, and Egypt in antiquity.
- Myth vs reality regarding the voting method in ancient Greece.
- industrialists and the traditional world’s innovators.
- The cost of industrialisation and the American nation.
- How can American politics and religion be successfully segregated?
- examining US politics and ideology from a global standpoint.
If you are tired of exploring the history research topics listed above, possibly, it didn’t meet your interest. So, you might contact our assignment helper , perhaps they might modify the topics for you to suffice your interest. But, if you got your history research topics, then you might want to start your writing venture. Yet, you might want to hurry, instead search for reliable sources to develop your work. Also, you might seek our History Assignment help to find authentic sources and avoid using information depicted in movies or books. Furthermore, if history interests you, then the listed might sound interesting to you as well. Hence, look no further, choose your topic, do proper research and start developing your work.
Know the 10 Importance of Time Management
20 Best Tips on How to Do Homework Faster
140 Best Capstone Project Ideas For Students To Consider
Comments are closed.
- Featured Posts
Top 150 Bioethics Topics To Consider For Writing a Research Paper
170 excellent business essay topics and ideas to focus on, how to write a reflective essay, different types of essay formats- mla, apa, and chicago, apa vs. mla: learn the major differences between the citation styles, top 152 cybercrime research topics for students to consider, 175 influential expository essay topics for you to consider & explore, top 180 creative short story ideas to consider for assignments, 110 motivational quotes for students to succeed in academic life, top 140 java project ideas for beginners and experts, get help instantly.
Raise Your Grades with Great Assignment Help
40 Interesting Historical Research Topics
- First posted on 2021-03-17
- Last modified 1 month ago
What will be covered in the article?
History is typically a required course in high school, under the umbrella of social science. History is definitely not everyone’s cup of tea; however, understanding American, European, and World History will give you an opportunity to escape your little bubble of life and gain broader perspectives about historical events and how they influence current and future events. History repeats itself, is often said. Learning about history will not only give you knowledge of the past, but also predictions for the future.
History may sound boring at first, but historical events were influenced by numerous factors, ranging from politics, technological advancement, and social circumstances. Especially, when you dive deeper into history with historical research, you will develop critical analysis and technical analysis skills through uncovering events and analyz ing how they have impacted the future through convincing arguments.
So now, you’re very interested in doing historical research, but you don’t know where to start. Every research paper starts with an interesting topic. So, ask yourself, what topic is of the most interest to you and most unique and interesting to readers? Maybe you are interested in learning more about European History during the Renaissance period, or the decolonization of Asia under the event of the Second World War . Depending on the topic, you will be able to integrate and discuss multiple perspectives that contribute to the events or incidents. Examples include: the economy, education, politics, social life, etc. While brainstorming a topic, you should also look for reliable resources. Reliable resources can come from your school’s library, scholarly and peer-reviewed articles, etc. For more details about steps in the research process, we’ve written in detail 8 critical steps while doing research you should check out.
Before going into the list, we recommend that you should have a clear direction of what historical aspect you should focus on. There are 5 main aspects when it comes to historical events:
- Religion/Philosophy: belief, creator, place of worship, ideas
- Politics: government, laws, leaders, crimes, war, military, democracy
- Economics: currency, jobs, bank, trade, stocks, gold, production
- Society: communication, personality, age, nationality, gender, religion
- Culture: traditions, clothing, appearance, festivals, food, language, sports, education, architecture
You can write any one of those preceding aspects, or a combination of two or three aspects in relation to each historical event. We’ve compiled and categorized topics to guide you on your historical research paper writing process. Using the topics, you can dive deeper into exploring which topics you’re most interested in writing about, and should be most relevant to your history career in high school and college. Now, let’s get started!
1. World History
World History is a broad and diverse research topic that covers a wide period of time: from civilization to social movement. Therefore, there are multiple topics students can choose from. Remember, world history discusses the development in the world in response to interchanges among significant countries in the world.
- World Wars I and II, the links between them, and how they could have been prevented
- American Revolution – Revolutionary War from 1775 to 1783
- Trade in the Roman World designed by The Romans created one of the most impressive road networks of the ancient world.
- The rise and fall of empires, in relation to conflicts, protests, and riots against corporate globalization, and the threat of worldwide terrorism against the West.
- Cradle of civilization: Ancient Discoveries of China, Egypt, Mesoamerica, or India, or any other civilization that le d to a high level of craft specialization and artistic production from each civilization, creating opportunities for trade
- Architecture through the ages: the changes in architecture through various traditions, regions, and dates, growing from human’s basic needs of shelter and protection.
- Women’s rights movement around the world. To see the overall timeline of women’s rights movements, you can explore women’s activism from generations past and present on the UN Women website .
- Math and Science discoveries throughout ancient history that contribute to how we apply math and science today
- Ancient conquests and their influence on the modern world map formation
- Nuclear warfare, a military conflict or political strategy which deploys nuclear weaponry.
2. United States History
For students studying in the US, United States History has always been fascinating, given its declaration of independence in 1776. American History ranges from prehistory, European colonization, American Revolution, the Federal period, the Gilded Age, the Great Depression, or the Cold War. Below are some examples for U.S Historical Research paper:
- Attack on Pearl Harbor, the military strike by Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service upon the United States against the naval base at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- The Vietnam War: Social consequences and treatment of veterans returning from the war
- Immigration in the late 1800s: the “melting pot” and “salad bowl” metaphors
- Gold Rush and its development of the California state
- Civil War and the participation of women and African America ns
- JFK Presidency, Policy and Assassination
- My Lai Massacre, incidents of American violence committed against unarmed civilians during the Vietnam War
- Sept 11, 2001 attacks and their impact on American security policies, foreign policy, and views on Islam through media and movies
- Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s, its tactics, movements and outcomes
- Yellow journalism and its impact on Spanish-American War
3. European History
The history of Europe began with the first appearance of anatomically modern humans in Europe. European History is considered the best-documented history compared to that of other regions in the world of history. Through conducting European studies, you will be able to understand its people, culture, and the way they saw the world.
- The Nude in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance: religious or erotic?
- Italian unification
- The relationship between Turkey and the European Union, and its impact on the position that Turkey has today
- Black Death, cause, symptoms and impact
- Religious crisis in the 16th century: the birth of Protestantism
- The Agricultural Revolution and the development of market economies
- The spread of Christianity: the political aspects
- European imperialism, in relation to the economic and political power overseas
- The Industrial Revolution and societal consequences
- The influence of Locke and French philosophies on the rise of liberal political thought in Europe in the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries
4. Asian History
Asian History remains unknown to many people in the Western world . However, in the discussion of world history, the civilizations of Asia display a preeminence prior to the age of Western civilization.
- Western imperialism in Asia and Asia n transformation in the areas of religion, economy, and society
- The Story of Viet n am: From Prehistory to the Present
- Open Door policy and its impact on the economies in the US and China
- Ancient Korean & Chinese Relations
- The Forgotten History of South Korean Massacres in Vietnam
- Invasions of the Korean Peninsula and its struggle for unification
- Yasuke and its defense on Japan’s Greatest Warlord
- British Malaya: British involvement in Malay Politics
- The Great Game: a political and diplomatic confrontation between the British Empire and the Russian Empire over Afghanistan and neighboring territories in Central and South Asia.
- The Indus Valley Civilization, one of the world’s earliest civilizations
History is a topic of great breadth and depth . H istorians today are fascinated by the new findings of history through the examination of archaeology and anthropology. The above are the few examples we hope will inspire you to take the next step to conduct historical research. If you are passionate about history and would like to conduct a research project in preparation for history or other liberal arts major in college or a history career in the future, we are here to help! We recently launched a new Historical Research project, along with the long-standing American, European, and World History courses.
Aralia’s History tutors are inspired teachers and professors who are committed to student success. They are recognized in their field or are currently teaching at top high schools and colleges/universities in the US.
HISTORICAL RESEARCH & WRITING
Description: Through Historical Research and Writing, students will learn about choosing a topic, composing research questions, effective research methods, drafting, composing, and revising. These skills will be taught with an emphasis on historical research, allowing students to engage in analysis of primary and secondary sources, discover interesting insights in history, and partake in the active pursuit of understanding the importance of the historical study.
Project time: Rolling enrollment throughout the year, one class every weekend, 1.5 hours per class
AP US HISTORY
Description: In AP United States History (APUSH), students will review key content concepts and course objectives found in the APUSH course description through writing long essay questions (LEQ), document-based question essays (DBQs), and short answer questions (SAQs). Furthermore, students will practice using historical thinking skills tested on the exam by answering stimuli-based multiple-choice questions and through their written responses.
Description: In this course, we will cover a period from the height of Ancient Greece to the middle of the sixteenth century, as we study the emergence of the first civilizations around modern day Europe and the trajectory of their development into Western society. We will examine the contributions of Greece and Rome and how they expanded their empires; how ideas are conceived, put into practice, and have social consequences; how and why their empires collapsed; how people and societies existed during the Middle Ages; how numerous cultures developed values and coexisted/clashed with others; and how a broken Europe, after several starts, reinvigorated itself with the Renaissance, and split again in the Reformation.
Description: This course will allow students to discover important moments in World History while developing academic, writing, and communication skills. By studying, reading, and writing about World History, students will gain a better understanding of how the modern world came to be and how past events dictate current ones.
Description: Explore the rise and fall of empires, the clash, and encounter of cultures, plagues, religious fervor, and political intrigue and war. This course aims to discover the complex interactions between Native Americans, Europeans, and Africans in different regions of North America across more than 500 years of history.
- Academic Tips
Ready to learn more?
Aralia Education is an open online course provider for students. We offer small group and 1-on-1 online tutoring classes that bring students and instructors together, completely online. Our teachers are beyond regular tutors because we are committed to bringing the best knowledge possible for students’ growth.
- Academic Tutoring
- Signature Courses
- Test Prep Courses
- 1 on 1 Tutoring
- Economics Research
- American History
- AP Macroeconomics
- Art Portfolio Preparation
or give us a call: +1 (603) 932 7897
Contact our course consultants for class and price information
Get In Touch
History Research Paper Topics Made Simple
Updated Aug 2021 History is a broad subject with virtually endless possibilities for writing research papers. Interesting, tragic, and inspiring events across various cultures have been happening since the dawn of time, offering many opportunities to analyze and interpret them from different perspectives.
However, since history is so diverse, picking a topic and conducting research comes with many challenges. How can you narrow down the subject to something relevant that captures the reader’s attention and makes room for in-depth analysis?
One of the biggest challenges students face when writing history research papers is finding credible sources for research . The online world is full of misinformation, while there are many lengthy books to read through and verify all the facts.
That’s why we’ve compiled this list of dozens of history research paper topics, ranging from medieval times and early civilizations to art research paper topics and much more. Read on to find inspiration.
What Is a Good History Research Topic?
A good history research topic tackles a relevant and interesting issue, period, or event that can inform the reader, help them learn from past mistakes, and understand their current position better.
Clarity is one of the essential elements of a good history research topic. Regardless of the period, event, or historical issue you wish to write about, you must be clear about it from the get-go.
A good topic allows you to describe events accurately, grab the reader’s attention, and entice them to want to learn more about it.
It doesn’t matter what topic you choose, as long as it motivates you to write about it in-depth to inspire the reader. When you feel passionate about something, that will reflect on your writing, and the reader will feel that passion as well.
History research papers can be analytical, comparative, argumentative, or reflective, so be sure to pick a writing style that best suits your topic and main idea.
How to Choose Interesting History Research Topics?
Some of the most exciting history research topics might be those that you can connect to the world today. You know what they say about history repeating itself, so you might be able to relate a past event or issue to current economic or cultural patterns or potential situations.
Use these tips to pick an interesting history research topic:
- Think about what interests you the most and come up with several different topics before conducting preliminary research to find reliable sources for each.
- Write a clear thesis statement for each topic that focuses on one or more specific historical issues or events. Leave no room for vagueness, and use credible sources to find and support all the facts.
- Once you have your outlines, take a step back to see which topic matters the most to you and why it might be relevant today.
- If argumentative research paper topics are your cup of tea, make sure you can provide clear arguments and counterarguments to stay unbiased. That’s how you will showcase professionalism, knowledge, and an utmost understanding of the topic. Needless to say, that’s how you will get the highest grade.
So, dig deep into what you feel passionate about, narrow down your topic, clear your focus, pick your preferred writing style, prepare a clear outline, and your paper will practically start writing itself.
History research paper topics for college students
A lot of interesting history topics one can write about usually revolve around very controversial issues that can be logically explained by representatives of both sides of the argument. The thing is, for you, as a history student, it’s not a good idea to dive into the emotional or personal context of those ideas that caused a lot of turmoil back then. Your task here is to explain the conditions under which they are now perceived as controversial, what helped them to take place, and the causative-consecutive relations of this event to many others. Opinion papers, of course, are a different topic to be discussed but when we’re talking about pure scientific research, you better refrain from undocumented or unproven claims when dealing with history research paper topics.
- Why the Nazi’s Ideology Was So Popular Among Masses?
- Are White Supremacists New Nazis?
- Capitalism: What went Wrong with Arguably the Most Suitable Political Ideology
- The Politics of Closed Border: Is Integration Possible (Case of North Korea)
- How 1-Child Policy in China Takes Its Toll Today
- Cold War 2.0: Russian-American Political Discourse Under Trump and Putin
- How Consumerism Dictates the Politics
- The Drawbacks associated with Technological Progress
- Things We Use that Weren’t Changed Since the Roman Empire
- Religion and History: Events that Won’t Take Place if not for Religious Reasons
World History Research Paper Topics
It’s truly an interesting time to be alive as we witness so many important events and are their contemporaries. It also gives more work for historians as their job is to document them from every possible viewpoint, and your school assignment is pretty much a part of it. There’s an option to pay for a research paper , but if you are ready to write it yourself, we have some topics for you to consider.
- What Caused Christianity Split and How It Still Affects Us Now
- Japanese-American Relationship: Ups & Downs
- Rich Spain, Poor Spain: What Caused the Decay
- Why Monarchies Still Exist
- The Invention of Printing: How It Influenced the Cultural Live
- Political Marriages in 14th Century
- Who Discovered America First?
- What Did Europeans Bring Home from Mayan People?
- Is Australia a Silent Continent?
- 7 Things We Borrowed from African Culture
US History Research Paper Topics
The history of the United States is so rich that college students absolutely have to study it. Here we have some good ideas to help you.
- ObamaCare: Best Intention, Worst Execution
- What did France Lose Because of Louisiana Purchase?
- Charleston in the Time of Civil War
- The Oldest Universities: Who Founded Them?
- Why Racism Still Exist?
- #Me_Too Movement
- Black Lives Matter Trap
- Is Class War Over in the USA?
- American-Iranian Tough Relationship
- WIll America Trigger WW3?
Texas History Research Topics
The US South was always in the spotlight on many social transformations and challenges. This is why it’s worthy to study it more.
- French, Spanish, Mexican, American: Texas Transformation within 4 centuries
- Texas During the Civil War
- Life of Native American Tribes During the Colonization
- French Influences In Texas Architecture
- Notable People from Texas
- Mexican-American War
- Pre-European Period in Texas History
- The Constitution of the Republic of Texas
- “Texas Eleven” and its Consequences
- Ted Cruz Political Course for Texas
American History Research Paper Topics
The U.S. revolution history before 1877 and its state during the 20th century are of particular interest for many college students, and they have their reason for it.
- The Rise of Nazism Under Trump’s Administration
- Feminist Movement in American History
- Afghanistan War and the US
- Why Contributions of African-American Soldiers During the WW2 is Still Silenced
- Martin Luther King and/vs Malcolm X
- How the Development of the Railway System Shaped the US Future
- Alcatraz: World’s Most Secure Prison
- Stonewall Inn and It’s Importance in the Gay Movement
- Who was Alexander Hamilton?
Colonial America Research Topics
Before we know the US as it’s now, it was a bunch of territories under various European countries.
- Origin of the City Names and the History Behind them: New Amsterdam, San Antonio, New Orleans
- French Cultural Influence on the Southern States
- First Colonists: Who Were They?
- What Does the Religion Have to Do With the Colonist Wars?
- The era of Good Feelings: Why It Didn’t Last Long
- Alaska and Russian Colonies
- Alaska Purchase: The Biggest Russian Trade Failure
- El Camino Real: The Historical Importance
- Former Dutch Colonies
- How Ney York Became New York
African American History Research Paper Topics
From slavery issues to music to protests - African-American history is full of events that are rarely interpreted objectively and are given the importance they should have been.
- How Slavery Shaped the Social Discourse of the 17th century America
- Notable Events that Led to the Civil Rights Movement
- Harlem Rennaissance
- Stereotypical Representations of African Americans in Hollywood
- Slavery and Literature: How History is Viewed by African-American Writers
- Incarceration Problem
- Segregation Policies: Why Some Politicians Still Want Them Today
- Black Lives Matter
- History of Jazz
- USA Under First Black President
20th-century Research Paper Topics
From World Wars, mayhem and peace of the 1960s, recovery of the 1920s, and globalization - the last century is a well of topics to explore with research paper writing service or without one.
- Causes of WW1
- Bylshovyks and Nazis: What’s Similar
- Rise of Mafia
- Dictatorship Regimes in the 20th century
- How China Became a Powerful State
- Independence of African Countries
- Apartheid Break
- JFK Assassination
- The implication of Atomic Weapon
- The Rise of Globalization
Civil Rights Research Topics
The civil Rights movement was amongst the most important social movements the USA had, as it’s changed the nation’s discourse.
- Notable Cultural Activists during the Civil Right Movement
- The Role of AME Church
- Malcolm X Ideology
- MLK Assassination
- Black Panther Party
- Montgomery Bus Boycott
- Separate but Equal: the Education Case of Segregationism
- Loving v. Virginia: Interracial Marriages
- The tragedy of Emmett Till
- Jim Crow Policies
European History Research Paper Topics
The recent events in European history make quite a field for history students to explore and work on.
- England Before the United Kingdom
- Dictatorship in Europe
- Cosa Nostra: Italian Mafia Then and Today
- Decay of USSR
- New Hybrid Warfare; The Case of Russia, Georgia, Ukraine and Syria
- Germany After Hitler: Geopolitical Context
- Berlin Wall
- English-Irish Tension
- Formation of the European Union
- Brexit and Its Consequences
Ancient History Research Paper Topics
The early civilizations of ancient Egypt, Rome, Greece, Persia, Babylon, China are the sources of culture we have today. That’s why it’s important to learn about them or from them.
- Religious of the Ancient Civilizations
- How Christianity Ruined the Culture
- Remains of the Roman cities in Italy
- The life and achievements of Alexander of Macedonia
- The life and achievements of Julius Caesar
- Nile River Valley: The History of the Monuments
- From Persia to Iran: The Cultural Heritage
- Origin and History of the Assyrian Empire
- The Kingdom of Urartu
- The Reign of Hammurabi
Western Civ Research Paper Topics
Any Western civilization is the beginning of the cultural heritage we cherish now on the European continent and beyond. Here are a few history research topics examples you might be willing to research.
- Medieval Christendom
- The Roman Empire and Its Biggest Achievements
- Inventions of Ancient Greece We still Use Now
- Reasons for the Fall of Rome
- Kyiv Rus in the Context of Western Monarchies
- Byzantium Empire and Its Influence on Christianity
- The Rise & Fall of Feudalism
- The Rise & Fall of The Second Temple
- Cultural Heritage of Hellenistic Judaism
- Age of Discovery: Why People Sought Better Life
Middle Ages Research Topics
Medieval times are often strongly associated with the church’s influence on every sphere of life and it makes sense to study where it all led us.
- Division of the Roman Empire
- Western Schism and Its Influence on Catholicism
- Importance of the Merovingian Dynasty in France
- War of Roses
- Missionaries to Scandinavia
- The History of first Crusades
- Reconquista: Causes & Effects
- Heroic Epos and Its Historical Context
- The Invention of Gunpowder and Warfare Change
- Value of Marco Polo Diaries
Native American History Research Topics
These ideas are your chance to explore the rich history of Native Americans from their origin to the present day and get custom research paper writing help you need now.
- The History of Thanksgiving Day
- What is the Purpose of Reservations
- The Rise and Fall of the Navajo Nation
- Native American Tribes in the USA Today
- Pre-discovery North America
- Diseases the Europeans Gifted the Native Americans
- America Settlement: There the People Came From
- Native Americans and Spiritualism
- Repressions of Native Americans
- Native Americans and Civil War
Salem Witch Trials Research Paper Topics
The history of Puritans is marked with the cruelest court trials one can imagine. See how many issues still remain uncovered.
- The Reasons for Salem Witch Trials
- The Execution Methods during SWT
- American Heresy: Salem Witch Trials and Failures
- Political Context of Witch Accusations
- Puritans and Calvinism
- Gender Context of Witch Trials
- Archeological Sites of Salem
- Witch Trials Former Prosecutions
- The History of Witch Cake
- Salem Witch Trials in Modern Culture
Slavery Research Paper Topics
A truly disgraceful period of the American nation and around the world that needs more public talking than ever before.
- Slavery and Music in the USA
- Slavery in Europe
- Slavery in the Russian Empire
- Early History of Slavery
- Slavery in Films
- Slave Market and Human Trafficking Today
- Adam Smith and Slavery
- Slave, Not Slave: The things People Did to Differentiate the Class
- Slavery in the 21st Century
- Sex Slavery
Black History Research Topics
The Black people in America suffered a lot of repressions until the 70s, and those policies are claimed as the tragic social norms that people implemented back then. However, we should not underestimate the cultural influence they’ve brought to the continent.
- Black Music and the Civil Rights Movement
- Emancipation Proclamation
- Jazz Era and Black Culture
- Ghettos in NYC
- Black History Month
- Claudette Colvin, Rosa Parks, and Other Women
- Transatlantic Slave Trade
- Minstrel Shows and Blackfacing: Trudeau’s Case
- The Rise of Hip Hop Culture
- Black Athletes that Changed Sports Forever
Civil War Research Topics
If the only help with research paper on the Civil War you need is to choose the topic, here comes your wish.
- Union vs Confederacy: Top Differences
- “Slave States” Politics
- Notable Commanders and Leaders of the Civil War
- Compromise Act of 1850
- Fort Sumter Battle
- Charleston Port Battle
- Baltimore Riots
- Military Mobilization During the Civil War
- Civil War Ecranization
- Conquest of Virginia and Its Historic Relevance
Cold War Research Topics
- What was the Cold War
- Modern Cold Wars in the World
- Caribbean Crisis and Cold War
- Espionage and Cold War
- Brezhnev Doctrine
- American Economy Under Cold War
- USSR Motivs for Cold War
- Raegan vs Thatcher
- NKVD and other Special Units of USSR Military during the Cold War
- The Marshall Plan
Vietnam War Research Topics
The event that still echoes with the disastrous consequences should be studied to avoid the same political mistakes in the future.
- Johnson’s Reasoning for Vietnam War
- American Interference into Asia
- Vietnam War and Public Outcry
- Cambodia Genocide
- Vietnam War Belligerents and their Supporters
- American Soldiers in Vietnam
- Social Issues of the Vietnam War inside the States
- Cost of the Vietnam War for Today’s Economy and Politics in the States
- Sino-Soviet Split
- Vietnam Syndrome
World War I Research Topics
WWI had a lot of events that need to de addressed, as many of them seem to repeat themselves throughout the 20th century.
- WW1 Background
- Sarajevo Assassination: the Reason or Cover-Up for the War
- Mlada Bosna and Other Terrorist Groups in Europe
- July Crisis and Political maneuvers
- The Meaning of Schlieffen Plan
- German Offensive: France and Belgium Attacks
- The USA during the WW1
- Military Recruitment for Armies from non-involved Countries
- Hague Convention
- First World War Naval Warfare
World War II Research Topics
- WW2 Ideological Background
- Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact
- Allies and Axis
- Atomic Bomb Explosion in Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- WWII Concentration camps, Genocides, and Slavery
- Culture during the Second World War
- Aftermath of WW2
- Results of Yalta Conference
- Nuremberg Trials
Revolutionary War Research Topics
- Boston Tea Party
- Continental Congress During the War for Independence
- First President of the USA
- Formation of the USA
- Revolutionary War and Foreign Interventions
- Taxation Disputes and the Beginning of War
- Alexander Hamilton and the American Economy
- Logistics and Warfare during the Revolutionary war
- What Would Happen If Hamilton Wasn’t Killed
- Native Americans in the War for Independence
Art History Research Paper Topics
Art is an important part of human existence as it preserves the history and helps historians to learn more about the life and culture of the given period.
- Renaissance and Painting
- WW2 and Art
- Fin de Siecle: Literature, Painting, Music
- Leonardo da Vinci’s Inventions
- The earliest Art Objects of Ancient Civilizations
- How Photography changed the Art
- Invention of Camera Obscure
- The Lumiere Brothers and the beginning of Cinema
- 7 World Wonders
Music History Research Paper Topics
Since music and lyrics group together, it stopped being an option for recreation and has obtained more social and political context to it. Explore the following themes, and you’ll learn how the social struggles were reflected in the music of the last century.
- How Jazz Got to Europe
- History of Rock’n’Roll
- Hip-Hop and Black Culture
- Music Instruments of Ancient Greece
- Rise of R’n’B
- Gospels in the Civil Right Movements Context
- Indigenous American Music and Spiritual Events
- 80s Culture: How Music Became Pop
- The British Invasion
- New York Jazz Scene in the 60s
Theatre History Research Topics
Being one of the oldest entertainments, the theater still remains an important historical object for research and it’s undergone many transformations since that time.
- Roman theater vs Greek Theater
- Japanese and Chinese Theaters: Then and Now
- Remains of Ancient Theaters in Rome
- Pre-Shakespearian Theater
- Contemporary Theaters
- The Rise of Broadway Shows
- Spanish Classical Theater and Plays
- Most Influential Playwrights of the 20th Century
- American Theater vs Classical Theater
- Ibsen’s Plays and His Role in Establishing the New Theater
Modern History Research Topics
If you want to write about events that happened from the 17th century onward, here are some of the most interesting modern history research topics you can choose.
- The USA PATRIOT Act
- The Great Recession
- The Chernobyl disaster, response, and fallout
- NATO interventions across the globe
- Social and economic inequality
- The Great Depression
- Industrialization of the US economy
- The Great American West
- Religious and social movements in the US
- Immigration in the 21st century
Controversial History Topics
There’s no shortage of controversial topics when it comes to history. When tackling one, it’s crucial to stay impersonal and weigh arguments on both sides. Here are some ideas you could use.
- The Spanish Inquisition
- The life of Queen Elizabeth II
- The fall of Constantinople
- Cultural assimilation of Native Americans
- The rise and fall of the Roman Empire
- Watergate scandal
- Syrian refugee crisis
- The Holocaust
- Israeli-Palestinian conflict
Writing a research paper about any historical event or period can be daunting, especially if you’ve never done it before. Fortunately, professional research paper writing services like StudyClerk can help you out with any subject and topic.
Here at StudyClerk, we have an expert team of qualified writers with Ph.D. and Master’s degrees in an array of academic fields. They can do all the legwork for you regarding research, provide you with a clear outline, and help you write a superb paper without a hitch. And if you ever need any editing, proofreading, or formatting assistance, reach out to us anytime.
Browse our writers’ profiles, pick one that best suits your needs, and share details about your paper, including the topic, main idea, length, and deadline. Sit back, relax, and get an original, plagiarism-free research paper that will exceed your expectations. Contact us today to place your order!
Order your paper now!
- Cultural Research Paper Topics
- Entrepreneurship Research Paper Topics
- 110 Unique Tranding Fashion Research Paper Topics and Ideas
- 100+ Best Religion Research Paper Topics in 2023
- Marketing Research Paper Topics
My Speech Class
Public Speaking Tips & Speech Topics
120 History Speech Topics [and Cultural Artifact Speech]
Jim Peterson has over 20 years experience on speech writing. He wrote over 300 free speech topic ideas and how-to guides for any kind of public speaking and speech writing assignments at My Speech Class.
Information speech topics about working out history topics for verbal or essay writing. Historical figures, events, periods and movements, and timelines are very good sources for authentic talks.
Most informative public speaking speech examples aren’t easy to move to your speech class. So, use pictures, video, or slide sheets to make your point.
In this article:
History Information Speech Topics
Examples of cultural artifact speech topics, history speech.
- Different past calendars.
- Rise and fall of Carthage.
- Celtic myths and legends.
- Hieroglyphs, Rosetta Stone.
- Inca and Maya civilizations.
- The mummification process.
- Medieval knighthood orders.
- Pyramid construction theories.
- Roman Empire ruled by senators.
- The meaning of Stonehenge.
And what do you think of these famous periods and events?
- Ancient Egypt
- Ancient Greece
- Ancient Rome
- Information Age
- Mesopotamia KingdomMiddle Ages
- Nuclear Age
Research the following questions and the information speech topics will flow out of your pen while looking for answers:
Can We Write Your Speech?
Get your audience blown away with help from a professional speechwriter. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
- What happened? When? How? Where?
- What was the value or impact?
- What are the major parts and facts?
- Why was this age or period important?
- Who played a major role?
How to research your information speech topics about people who played a vital role in the past? Well, check this out in bygone times-books or on the net.
Another list of history speech ideas for training public speakers and high school or college essay writing: famous historical figures and people. Tell their story, how they made the difference in their time:
- Abraham Lincoln
- Albert Einstein
- Alexander Graham
- Alexander the Great
- Alfred Nobel
- Andy Warhol
- Benjamin Franklin
- Captain James Cook
- Charles de Gaulle
- Claude Monet
- Dwight Eisenhower
- Elizabeth I
- Florence Nightingale
- Galileo Galilei
- George Washington Hannibal
- Harry S Truman
- Henry Kissinger
- Isaac Newton
- Jack the Ripper
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- Joan of Arc
- John Maynard Keynes
- Joseph Stalin
- Julius Caesar
- King Arthur
- King Tutankhamun
- Konrad Adenauer
- Leonardo da Vinci
- Louis Pasteur
- Margaret Thatcher
- Martin Luther Martin Luther King
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Maximilien Robespierre
- Napoleon Bonaparte
- Nelson Mandela
- Nicholas II Tsar of Russia
- Pablo Picasso
- Rameses the Great
- Richard Nixon
- Ronald Reagan
- Sigmund Freud
- Thomas Jefferson
- Vincent Van Gogh
- Vladimir Lenin
- William Shakespeare
- Winston Churchill
- Woodrow Wilson
And here are some interesting history speech topic ideas:
- Dinosaurs and how they left the face of the earth.
- The role of Jawaharlal Nehru in India’s independence.
- John F. Kennedy’s scandals and assassination.
- The importance of the Great Wall of China.
- The patterns of U.S. immigration.
- The fire at Yellowstone National Park in 1988.
- The history of immigrants in the American workforce.
- The real origin of the fortune cookie.
- The history of Native American tribes.
- The history of the use of human cadavers.
- The history of American comic books.
- The history of witchcraft.
- The history of antibiotics.
- The history of English rule in South Africa.
- How World War Two started and ended.
- The evolution of the English language.
- Gold rushes outside of California.
- The life and works of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The life and works of Mother Teresa.
- The effects of U.S. colonialism.
- The history of Valentine’s day.
- The seven wonders of the world.
- Leaders that changed the world.
- The history of fringe political parties.
- The history of early 20th century filmmaking.
- The history of the Dominican Republic.
- People who have changed the world.
- The lighthouse of Alexandria.
- The history of feminism.
- The great escape of Alcatraz.
- The history of chalk.
- The Assyrian genocide.
- The history of tobacco use.
- The black arts of 13th century.
- The history of the Selma civil rights march.
- The best accidental inventions.
- The origins of nursery rhymes.
- How the Civil War started.
- The history of Halloween.
- The industrial revolution.
- What was the poor law act?
- The origins of superstitions.
- The evolution of voting laws.
- The history of the British royal family.
- The origin of alphabets.
- The history of medicine.
- The history of nomadic people in Libya.
- How the Cold War began.
- The history of women in the military .
- Censorship throughout history.
- The history of the Great Depression.
- The life of Helen Keller.
- The heroes of World War II.
- The most famous Civil War generals.
- The origin of holidays.
- How the Columbine massacre happened.
- The history of the Supreme Court.
- The history of model trains.
- The most famous diplomats in history.
- The funniest inventions in history.
- The most famous robberies in history.
- The most famous speeches in history.
- The history of honor killings.
- The history of organized crime.
- Life during the middle ages.
- The causes of the Afghanistan war.
- The history of the national park system.
- The history of Indian culture.
- The history of labor unions.
- The history of street gangs.
- The most famous riots in history.
- The history of batteries.
- The craziest laws and their history.
Cultural Artifact Speech
Cultural artifact speech topics for those who urgently needs to build a a 3 to 5 minute reflective informative public speech based on an object in which you reveal civilizing information about its maker(s) and user(s).
What Is First a common definition to start with. A cultural artifact is:
- created by man;
- tells us something about the creator(s);
- tells us something about the people who use it;
- tells us something about the cultural background and/or historical time of its creator and users.
In advance you can present the following information about the cultural artifact speech topics of your choice:
- how it is made;
- to what means.
What Are Almost everything that you can think of could serve as idea. Not only archaeological objects, also even things from this century. As long as you are able to provide the information in the points above. Key term is: cultural background info !
- 17th century ship cannon
- African tribal basket
- Ancient copper chisels
- Ancient Phoenician glass
- Ancient Roman military uniform
- Army uniform patches
- Australian Aboriginal didgeridoo
- Bronze Age artifacts
- Buddhist prayer flags
- Г‡atalhГ¶yГјk murals, Turkey
- Celtic bronze fibula-brooch
- Chinese New Year dragon
- City police badge
- Code of Hammurabi, California
- College student club ties
- Commemorative coffee mugs
- Confederate Civil War belt plate
- Crystal Skulls
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity icons
- Firefighter artifacts
- French Louis XVI chair
- High school flags
- Historical markers and monuments in your town
- Missouri Indian necklace
- Native American arrowheads
- Old Alaska Eskimo tools
- Participation medals, e.g. Olympic Medals and the story
- Political campaign buttons
- Salutation Royal Mail stamps
- Ships in bottles, how to make those nautical artifacts
- Shipwreck Treasure Coins
- Sioux Rawhide parfleches and storage boxes
- Sixteenth-century poison ring
- Stained glass window in church
- Stone Sculpture from Guerrero, Mexico
- Sung Dynasty jar of Chinese ceramic art
- Teotihuacan Aztec pottery in Mexico
- The Black Stone in Mecca in the wall of the Kaaba
- The ceramic mask of the head of the jackal god Anubis, Germany
- The Terracotta Armyin the Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor, China
- The Thiruvalluvar Statue, Tamil Nadu, India
- The vuvuzela or lepatata Mambu
- The origin of the Jack Sparrow Tricorn hat
- Ukhahlamba cave paintings, Drakensberg Park, South Africa
- Vintage golf plaques and their story
- Wooden farmer shoes people in Holland wear
- Your own stuffed teddy bear and the history of bears for kids.
27 After Dinner Speech Topics and Tips From a Coach
34 Topics For a Great Motivational Speech
1 thought on “120 History Speech Topics [and Cultural Artifact Speech]”
princess Diana’s death
Leave a Comment
Reach out to us for sponsorship opportunities
Vivamus integer non suscipit taciti mus etiam at primis tempor sagittis euismod libero facilisi.
© 2023 My Speech Class
235 Captivating World History Topics 2023
Table of Contents
History is an exciting field of study that covers all the events that have happened in the past. Besides, the subject also focuses on the cultural evolution and traditions followed by people across the globe. If you are a student who is pursuing a degree in historical studies, then as a part of your course, you will have to submit history research papers. For writing a history research paper, there are plenty of world history topics available online. But out of them all, it is really challenging to identify the right topic.
To help you in discovering the best ideas for your history paper, here we have shared a list of interesting world history topics in various categories. Continue reading this blog post and get comprehensive history topic ideas. Also, learn how to select a good topic for a world history research paper.
Tips for Choosing World History Research Paper Topic
The first step in the academic paper writing process is the topic selection. Usually, your professor will share a list of themes or ideas for you to write about. But sometimes they will ask you to come up with a good history research topic of your choice. If you are given the option to select, first, gather a lot of research ideas, brainstorm each idea and finalize a topic that suits you perfectly.
Here are a few important tips you should keep in mind during world history research paper topic selection.
- Select a topic that matches your area of interest or favorite category.
- Choose a topic related to a particular historical period and geography.
- Pick a topic that excites and engages the audience.
- Give preference to the topic that allows you to conduct deep research.
- Identify a topic that has extensive information and valid evidence for discussion.
- Consider a topic that has a relevant credible source for reference.
In addition to all these tips, before finalizing your history topic, check whether the topic you have selected satisfies your instructor’s history paper writing guidelines. You can score an A+ grade, only if you select a perfect topic for your research paper. So, give utmost importance to your research paper topics selection.
List of World History Topics and Ideas
Would you have to submit a history research paper? Are you looking for the best world history topics for your assignment? Well, here we have suggested some interesting world history topic ideas. Explore the entire list and find out an ideal topic for writing your history paper.
World History Essay Topics
- Describe the evolution of the Roman military system.
- How did Islam arise in the Arabian Peninsula?
- The leading nations of the Bronze Age.
- Discuss the consequences of the Black Plague.
- Why is the Han period considered the golden age in Chinese history?
- Why did the United States of America lose the Vietnam War?
- The expansion of Indo-European languages.
- What philosophical ideas led to the Age of Enlightenment?
- Japanese Revolution and the Meiji Restoration in Japan.
- The impact of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars on the USA’s economy.
- Comparison of slavery in ancient times with modern times in African regions;
- Plaques that managed to destroy populations in Europe and Asia;
- Egyptians have hidden goals while building pyramids;
- Chinese Great Wall – convict-built protection;
- Indigenous tribes of America;
- Describe the origin and evolution of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders of Australia
- Conquering space – Russian and American outcomes
- Critical analysis of the impact of World War I and II on world history
- Compare and contrast the impact of the European civil war and American civil war
- Analyse the impact of the Industrial Revolution between 1760 and 1840
- Bridal ceremonies in ancient Egypt
- Discuss the social relationships in Medieval times
- Cuban history – Freedom and Revolutions
- Describe the history behind the collapse of Soviet Union
- Comparative analysis of the history of Mesopotamian and Harappan Civilisation
Ancient History Research Topics
- Compare Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, and Ancient Rome.
- Iron Age Responsibilities distribution.
- Palestine History.
- Symbolism in Ancient Egypt.
- Religion and Prophets.
- The role of women in Prehistoric Britain.
- Sumerian Culture and Traditions.
- Analyze Eastern Civilizations.
- Death and Immortality in Ancient Egypt.
- Entertainment in Ancient Rome.
- From Assyria to Byzantium: Study of Power in Empires.
- Ancient Greek philosophy.
- The most potent military in Ancient History.
- Ancient protests.
- Police in Ancient Rome.
- Ancient history and classical antiquity: the difference.
- Ancient history: the main source texts.
- Early Iron Age: the key achievements.
- Religion and philosophy in ancient Greece.
- Science and technology in ancient Rome.
Middle Age History Essay Topics
- Why the middle age is considered the period of discovery?
- The role of the Quran in medieval Europe.
- Common crimes in the middle ages.
- The development of cities in medieval Europe.
- Discoveries in medieval Europe.
- The notion of the revival of the Byzantine State.
- Intellectuals in the middle ages.
- Women in the middle ages.
- The impact of the middle ages on history.
- Interfaith marriages in the middle ages.
World History Topics for Research Paper
- The rise of great monarchies.
- Progress of civilization.
- The use of weapons in ancient civilizations.
- Religion and Crusades.
- The Church in medieval Europe.
- Why did empires fall?
- Causes of the Thirty-Year War.
- Jamaican history of violent events.
- The contribution of Gandhi to world peace.
- South America Colonization.
- China and Japan’s development in recent historical stages.
- The Mongol Empire’s power.
- Rise of the Dutch republic.
- Maritime discoveries.
- The fall of the Eastern Empire.
- Apartheid Impact.
- Western world social stratification.
- Great people of the sixteenth century.
- The role of the Shogun in Japanese history.
- The influence of nuclear weapons on the world military clashes.
Modern History Topics
- The Great Recession.
- S. Involvement in Afghanistan.
- Cultural Changes in the Modern World.
- Reasons for the Syrian Conflict.
- Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
- Chernobyl Explosion.
- Reasons for Social Inequality.
- Governing the New Nation.
- The role of NATO for the World Community.
- Ancient conquests and their influence on the modern world map formation.
- Inventors and Industrialists in the modern world.
- The negative role of globalization.
- Patriot Act Analysis.
- Social Movements in America.
- Adjustment of the Great American West.
European History Research Topics
- The 19th-century European Literacy.
- Europe Nationalistic Trends.
- European Economic History.
- Early Modern Europe.
- Political participation of Muslims in Europe.
- Mid-Tudor Crises Analysis.
- Politics in eighteenth-century Europe.
- Gender bias in England during the 17th-century.
- Western Theories Propaganda.
- Women’s Civil Rights in France during the 18th-century.
- The Thirty-Year War in Europe (1618-1648).
- The rise of empiricism in Europe.
- The rise of the Eastern Powers.
- The French Revolution: Force Distribution.
- The Catholic Church and the Witch Hunt.
US History Topics
- Revolutionary War Personalities.
- The effects of Industrialization on American Social Movements.
- American Exceptionalism.
- US election history.
- Peculiar US Democracy.
- Analyze Interwar Period.
- History of the US navy
- Declaration of Independence 1776.
- People in the 17th century of US History.
- The United States and Slavery.
- Tobacco Trade in early American colonies.
- How did the Battle of Saratoga change the course of the war?
- The cowboy era: truth and myths.
- The Spanish-American war: causes and consequences.
- Reasons behind the Salem witch trials.
Read more: Top Fascinating History Research Topics For Students
History Topics on World War
- The Treaty of Versailles in World War I.
- The western front and the eastern front in World War I.
- Pearl Harbor Legacy.
- The human cost in World War I.
- Chemical weapons in World War I.
- The role of women in World War II.
- African Americans and World War II.
- Entangling Alliances in World War I.
- Compare the battle at sea and the battle in the air during World War I.
- The Russian Revolution in World War I.
- Japanese Americans in World War II.
- Military innovations between World War I and World War II.
- World War I: Assassination in Sarajevo.
- The German Resistance to Hitler in the Second World War.
- The economic cause of the Second World War.
World History Research Paper Topics
- Compare Roman and British Empires.
- Cuban history – Revolutions and Freedom.
- Discuss the fashion in the 18th century.
- Write about the Nazi mission.
- Discuss the Korean War.
- Pirates in Somali.
- The rise of Buddhism in India.
- Conquering space – American and Russian outcomes.
- Explain the fall of the Qing Dynasty.
- The political activism of Dalits in India.
History Research Topics on Cold War
- The Cold War is an era of fear.
- Significant events of the Cold War.
- Major countries involved in the Cold War.
- The impact of Europe during the Cold War.
- Discussion on how to resolve the Cold War.
- Cold War Aftershocks.
- The international order of the Cold War.
- Culture during the period of the Cold War.
- The Cold War effect on popular culture.
- The role of the United Nations in the Cold War.
History Topics on US Civil War
- The US Civil War and Europe.
- African-American Soldiers in the Civil War.
- Civil War and its legacy.
- Civil War Facts and Controversies.
- Abraham Lincoln’s Assassination.
- Women in the Civil War Era in America.
- Causes for North-South confrontation during the Civil War.
- US Civil War Battles.
- Appomattox Campaign.
- New York draft riots during the Civil War.
Essay Topics on the American Revolution
- The Townshend Acts Analysis.
- The global impact of the American Revolution.
- Social conflicts during the American Revolution.
- The role of the woman in the American Revolution.
- Daily lives of Americans during the revolution.
- Legacies of the American Revolution.
- Alexander Hamilton’s Role in the American Revolution.
- American revolutionary war letters.
- The Federalist Era in the United States.
- Trenton and Princeton Battles.
20 th and 21 st Century History Research Topics
- Organized Crime in American Society (1920s).
- Was imperialism in the early 20th century justified?
- Russian Revolution and Labor Class.
- Reasons behind Dictatorship.
- Economic Depression Causes.
- Truman’s Moral Courage and Political Risks in American History.
- The best presidential speeches of the 20th century.
- The Nuclear Age Cause and Effect.
- The Roosevelt administration and the events of the Holocaust.
- Democratic Movements Uprising.
- Significant technological advances and inventions of the 20th century.
- Vietnam Veterans in Nixon’s America.
- Nationalism as a major issue of the 20th century.
- American History of the 20th and 21st centuries.
- US policies towards immigrants in the 21st century.
World History Topics for Thesis
- Warfare and violence in ancient times.
- The rise of Babylonian and Assyrian empires.
- Medicine and spiritualism in Ancient Rome.
- Indigenous tribes of America.
- The impact of the Borgia family on Renaissance Italy.
- Describe the construction of the Great Wall of China.
- Write about the samurai of Japan.
- Trade connections between Rome and Ancient China.
- The goal of Egyptians in building pyramids.
- The best inventions of history that don’t have alternatives.
Popular World History Research Topics
- The Gutenberg Bible.
- Causes of Cleopatra’s fall in Egypt.
- Effects of British rule in India.
- History of the immigrant population in the USA.
- Trends of immigration through the years.
- 9/11 attacks.
- The history of the conflict between Palestinians and Israel.
- The child Emperors of Rome.
- The impact of the Balkan wars on the map of Europe.
- The origin of African tribal culture.
- Germany after the fall of the Nazis and Hitler.
- The establishment of UNO.
- Arms and armor in Renaissance Europe.
- The Israeli-Egypt Agreement.
- History of American politics and religious interaction.
Read more: Interesting Art History Thesis Topics To Explore and Write About
World History Topics for Research
- The rise of the Ottoman Empire.
- What factors led to the Yugoslav wars?
- Opium Wars and other conflicts between Britain and China.
- Discuss the Persian Gulf War.
- Key reforms in the Song dynasty.
- How were the islands of the South Pacific colonized?
- What were the major trading centers south of Sahara?
- How did Europeans colonize the African continent?
- Explain the consequences of the Russo-Japanese war.
- The struggle for freedom in the Spanish and Portuguese colonies.
- What contributed to George Washington’s prominence during the American Revolution?
- What impact did the Battle of Saratoga have on how the conflict developed?
- What elements contributed to the victory of the American Revolution?
- How did the United States become the most industrialized country in the world?
- What were the ties between France and America during the American Revolution?
- How did the Federalist Party provide the foundation for the country’s diplomatic and domestic policies?
- What characteristics of republican and democratic types of government does the Constitution reflect?
- How did the Mexican-American War contribute to the formation of the USA’s geographical borders?
- How did African Americans’ lives change as a result of the Black Laws?
- both as a president and a military commander, Ulysses S. Grant.
The Bottom Line
Identifying a good topic is one of the tedious steps in the research paper writing process. From the list of captivating world history topics recommended in this blog post, select any appealing topic for your academic paper. In case, you are not sure how to craft a brilliant history research paper, immediately contact us for academic writing help. We have a team of talented writers to offer both essay and research paper writing services on any subject topic.
Exclusively, for providing the best history paper writing help , we have writers with a Ph.D. degree in history. So, you can make use of our service by sending your requirements through the order form. Once you have submitted the order form, based on your requirements, we will prepare and deliver a plagiarism-free academic paper on time at a fair price.
Need professional academic writing help? Contact us now! We will give you excellent assignment writing assistance that will help you boost your academic scores.
List Of Mental Health Research Topics For Students To Choose
130 Best Environmental Science Topics To Choose for Academic Work
Top 130+ Linguistics Research Topics for College Students
I am an Academic Writer and have affection to share my knowledge through posts’. I do not feel tiredness while research and analyzing the things. Sometime, I write down hundred of research topics as per the students requirements. I want to share solution oriented content to the students.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Featured Posts
Top 130 Geology Research Topics and Ideas to Consider
180 top trending group discussion topics and ideas, 170 excellent ap research topics that will boost your scores, 150 impressive funny speech topics and ideas to consider, 180 fascinating entrepreneur research topics to focus on, list of amazing essay hook examples, learn how to avoid hasty generalization in your writing, 210 great religious research paper topics that will boost your academic scores, how to focus on reading 15 effective tips for better concentration, get help instantly.
Raise Your Grades with Assignment Help Pro
An award presenter should summarize the history and significance of the award being given, then honor and introduce the award recipient. The speech should be brief, positive and cheerful.
Topics to consider for research on fashion include children’s fashion, history, materials, design and the influence of fashion icons on society. Good research topics on fashion create a context within which to explore and discuss the differ...
Good topics for object speech are real, stable and specific, such as the migration patterns of Canada geese and characteristics of sandy soil. Other ideas include concussions in soccer, ground bees, the history of vuvuzelas, exotic fruits a...
World History Research Paper Topics · Mexican-American War · Religion and Crusades · Causes of Thirty Years War · Use of Weapons in Ancient Civilizations · Bridal
✨ 15 Interesting History Topics · World Wonders. · Chernobyl Disaster. · Ancient Egypt. · The Cold War. · The Red Scare. · The Holocaust. · Edo Period
Historical Speech Topics. Progressive Era in the United States. American Revolution and the crisis of the Constitution of the USA. Welcome to
Topics · HOLIDAYS · Pride Month 2023 · Father's Day 2023 · Fourth of July – Independence Day · 21st CENTURY · Great Recession · COVID-19 Pandemic · Afghanistan War.
Top 10 History Research Paper Topics · 1. Religion in Ancient Greece · 2. Causes of the American Revolution · 3. American Neutrality in World War
That is one of the best US history research topics. ... It can be even better if you make a presentation to accompany your essay!
Pearl Harbor. Women's suffrage revolution. Abolitionist movement. American Indian Movement. History of Mughal Empire; The Rise and Fall of
Religion/Philosophy: belief, creator, place of worship, ideas · Politics: government, laws, leaders, crimes, war, military, democracy · Economics:
American History Research Paper Topics · The Rise of Nazism Under Trump's Administration · Feminist Movement in American History · Afghanistan War
And here are some interesting history speech topic ideas: Dinosaurs and how they left the face of the earth. ... The history of American comic
World History Topics for Research Paper · The rise of great monarchies. · Progress of civilization. · The use of weapons in ancient civilizations.